[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Corridor debate: Daily News

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 20:23:30 PDT 2007

Donovan Arnold wrote:
> I am surprised you are unaware that Palouse Mall is evicting small
> local businesses. The laundry store is out next month. You can also
> call Market Time gifts, the Military Recruiters, Hunters, and any
> other businesses you noticed disappeared. They are being kicked out or
> forced to pay HUGE rental prices. The owners of the mall only want big
> chain stores in there. The Palouse Mall can charge whatever they want
> because no other malls on the palouse exist.

I think the Palouse Mall can charge whatever they want because there are
big chain stores out there that can afford to pay that kind of rent, not
because they are the only viable mall around.  If we had thirty malls,
the situation would probably be the same.  As long as there are these
huge retail chain stores out there with deep pockets, they can afford to
pay more than local Mom-and-Pop type stores.

And while these big chain stores can afford to hire more college
students, the majority of their profit goes out of the state.  The
profit made by local stores stays for the most part in the community.

I'm not necessarily arguing that we should dump the retail chains.  I'm
just saying that I don't think the Mall's monopoly here is the cause for
all the local stores leaving.

Paul