[Vision2020] water development

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:26:46 PDT 2007

Donovan,

You wrote,

"By allowing businesses that depend on water for profit to invest heavily
into Moscow, it is virtually letting private enterprise find a solution to
the problem for us. If a business makes or loses all of its profits by way
of water, it is going to do all it can to keep the city water wells full,
including finding, hiring and paying the people and resources needed to do
it."

My limited reading on this issue suggests that at least in the last 100
years or so, most large-scale water development depended heavily on funds
provided by taxpayers.  You have suggested, both recently and in the past,
that we should try to get water from the Clearwater River, as the Moscow
water is so poor.  Wouldn't a project of this scale also require taxpayer
funds, and not be provided by private enterprise?  I believe Mark Solomon
provided some information on this issue a few months ago.

Sunil