[Vision2020] Corridor debate: Daily News

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Apr 14 06:05:17 PDT 2007

Arnold stated:

"Mr. Solomon's ideas are not based on economic realities and don't solve the
water problem, it just prolongs it."

So, you are admitting that there is a water problem.  If we allow unlimited
use of the aquifer by corporate "gluttons", it will disappear and our
citizens will suffer.   We must restrict access to our limited water sources
until another source is identified and put into use.

Arnold goes on . . .

"Thinking we shouldn't have stocking and service orientated jobs for
students I think is a bad idea. First, those lower paying jobs should go to
college students, not 40 year olds trying to make a living; somebody has to
ask, "Would you like fries with that?" And I don't think it should be people
middle aged with Master's in Environmental Science."

Our community NEEDS career-oriented, professional jobs if it is to compete.
If Moscow were to limit its growth to those minimum-wage, service-oriented
jobs you reference, those 10,000 college students (referenced by Dale
Courtney below) will simply graduate and move on to greener pastures away
from Moscow.

Question:  What 40 year olds and local residents "with Master's in
Environmental Science" are you aware of that are hold these jobs at fast
food outlets?  I have lived here in Moscow for 15 years.  All I have seen
are college students working at local fast food restaurants (as well as
bartenders at my favorite haunts).

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)