[Vision2020] Double Standard

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Apr 13 18:32:08 PDT 2007

J Ford, et al,

There is no doubt in my mind that when someone rides around looking for someone to beat up, and then actually beats someone up, a very serious crime has been committed.

Was it a racially motivated hate crime in this case?  I am unable to tell given the information so far provided.

If someone of any race is driving around in Moscow, Idaho looking for someone to beat up, the probability that the prey is going to be white is very, very high.  There are few other options absent an extensive and prolonged search.

I have appended the story as it first appeared in the Argonaut.

I haven't seen any other newspaper story, if there is one perhaps someone will post it.

What is absent in the news article is any information that indicates that the assaults were racially motivated like the mention of racial/hate driven epithets, etc.  Hence, based on what is contained in the news article and the overwhelmingly whiteness of the Moscow population, I cannot assign any probability to the claim that it was a racially/hate motivated assault.

I would agree that if after an investigation evidence is discovered that provides probable cause that a hate crime has occurred, then regardless of the races of the persons involved, hate crime charges should be filed and tried.

>From the meager information given in the news article, it appears, though without any certainty, that the charges were misdemeanors.  Given the seriousness of the injuries (unconsciousness), I wonder why felony charges were not initially filed.

If any one has accurate information, please post it.

W.
_________________________
      UI athlete charged with battery
      Written by Cynthia Reynaud -Argonaut
      Tuesday, 03 April 2007

      University of Idaho football player Jevon A. Butler was charged with battery Monday after an incident that took place early Sunday morning.

      Butler, a sophomore strong safety for the Vandals, Adam L. Adams and Derrick Stone were arrested on charges of battery for allegedly punching UI freshman William J. Petersen and Matthew D. Scott numerous times in the face. Neither Adams, Stone nor Scott are UI students.

      All pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges at a Monday court appearance. Bail was set at $300 for each, and has been posted.

      According to the police report, Moscow police responded to the call on East E Street and North Washington Street at 2:30 a.m. Sunday, where police found Scott and Petersen. Scott's face was covered with blood.

      Petersen told police he and Scott had been walking down the street when a car stopped near them. Four or five black males then allegedly ran toward them and repeatedly punched Scott and Petersen in the face. Both Scott and Petersen were knocked down and Scott was unconscious for minutes, Petersen said.
      Scott was transported by ambulance to Gritman Medical Center.

      At 2:52 a.m., police received a report of four or five black males exchanging shirts on the 800 block of North Garfield and yelling about beating someone up. Two males who matched descriptions Petersen had given police earlier were seen entering homes on the block.

      According to the report, Butler and Stone both exited one of the dwellings. Butler was wearing a grey shirt with what appeared to police to be blood stains and had a fresh cut that was oozing blood on the edge of his right hand.

      Stone told police he had been at the residence all night. Adams said he had been in the vicinity all night. During the questioning, police asked if the men had been at CJ's, which both denied. Butler, Stone and Adams all denied being involved in the battery.

      Petersen was then brought to identify the suspects, according to the report. He identified Stone, Adams and Butler, adding he recognized Butler from a university class.

      All three were arrested.
      Butler's pretrial conference is set at 11:15 a.m. on April 10.
      Adams' pretrial conference is set for 11:45 a.m. today. His jury pretrial conference will be 4 p.m.

      April 9 and a jury trial is set for 8:30 a.m. April 26.
      Stone's pretrial conference is set for 4:45 p.m. today. A jury pretrial conference will be 4 p.m. April 9 and jury trial will be at 8:30 a.m. April 20.