[Vision2020] (no subject)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 13 15:47:23 PDT 2007

Exactly, Sunil.

To illustrate this point:  While I was stationed at Muna Kaserne in Bamberg,
Germany during the summer of 1972, a major fracas broke out on main post.
It was reported that a large contingent of black soldiers had started a
fight with a group of white soldiers.  This fight occurred late on a Friday
night.  Fires were started.  Vehicles were trashed.  Four (or was it five)
soldiers ended up in the hospital.  The post commander reported this
incident as being "racially based" to unit commanders.  All units were
required to undergo weekly racial awareness classes for the next two months.
The fact that the incident was reported as racially based caused some
serious discomfort on post and minor skirmishes developed as tensions grew.
It took almost a year for things to return to normal.

It was later revealed, as a result of a preliminary investigation
(subsequent to a court-martial against one of the soldiers involved), that
the incident was not racially motivated at all.

What had actually occurred:  To preface the details, let me explain that
there exists an ingrained (somewhat peacefully coexisting) animosity between
the various branches within the Army.  Engineer units hate infantry units.
Infantry units hate armor units.  Combat arms units hate AG units.  And
everybody hates the MPs.

The black soldiers were members of an engineer unit.  The white soldiers
were members of an infantry unit.  This incident occurred as the local
baseball season was ell underway.  Either the engineer unit had lost to the
infantry unit in a game earlier that day (or vice-versa).  The players went
out partying with their respective teams that night.  They ran into each
other while returning to the barracks that night (one group drunk and
celebrating, the other drunk and upset).  It was mere coincidence that one
team consisted primarily of white players and the other primarily of black
players.

What I am trying to say is that we should evaluate something without
sufficient evidence to support such an allegation.

You see what I'm saying?

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown