[Vision2020] Imus May Be the Spark to a National Debate on Sexism (Roland Martin)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 13 13:19:42 PDT 2007

>From "Creators: A Syndicate of Talent" at www.Creators.com -

Imus May Be the Spark to a National Debate on Sexism
By Roland Martin

No one would have thought that when Rosa Parks opted not to give up her seat
to a white man in 1956, a dozen years later blacks would have the full right
to vote, the ability to eat in hotels and restaurants, and see Jim Crow
destroyed.

We might look back in a few years and realize that the removal of Don Imus
from the public airwaves put America on a course that changed the dialogue
as to what is acceptable to say in public forums.

The downfall of a long, successful and controversial career, on the surface,
took eight days. But for Imus, this has actually been 30 years in the
making. He has used his sexual and racial schtick to pad his pocketbook.
Only this time, he ran up against a group of women who presented such a
compelling story, his bosses couldn't ignore the reality of his sexist and
racist rant.

Although the National Association of Black Journalists led the fight to oust
Imus, there is no doubt that it was that moving news conference by the
Rutgers University women's basketball team that cemented Imus's demise.
Vivian Stringer was poised and strong in demanding that America look at the
10 women and see them as the real face of Imus's slurs.

And that is really the issue we must focus on. So many people tried to make
this a race issue. But for me, that wasn't the primary point. I never
wavered from characterizing the attack as one of a sexist. It didn't matter
that Imus was trying to be funny. He insulted a group of women who are
already accomplished.

Then again, that happens to women every day.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., is smart and talented, but to many, she's
nothing but an opportunist.
She's called too aggressive, not cute and is slammed regularly. But she
should be praised for being a woman who has achieved a lot in her career.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is portrayed as a bumbling idiot, but
her academic credentials are impeccable. You can disagree with her ideology,
but to question her womanhood is silly.

Women all across this country have to play by a different standard. They
often make less than men, even when doing the same job; are accused of being
too tough when they are the boss; and are treated as sexual objects.

America, we have a problem with sexism. Don't try to make this whole matter
about the ridiculous rants made by rappers. I deplore what's in a lot of
their music and videos, but hip-hop is only 30 years old. So you mean to
tell me that sexism in America only started in 1977?

Now is the time for this nation to undergo a direct examination of the
depths of sexism. My media colleagues shouldn't go just for the easy target
- rap lyrics. That is no doubt a logical next step, but sexism is so much
deeper. It is embedded in our churches, synagogues, mosques, schools,
Fortune 500 companies and in the political arena. We should target our
resources to this issue and raise the consciousness of people, and expose
the reality.

Don Imus should not be the period. He can be the comma. Civil rights
organizations, media entities, women's groups and others have an opportunity
that they can't pass up. We have the chance to seize the moment to begin a
conversation - an in-depth one - that could redefine America along the lines
of race and sex.

I hope and pray that we have the courage to do so.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

t hansen-moore

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people."

- Unknown