[Vision2020] Double Standard

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:17:15 PDT 2007

The treatment of the Duke lacrosse players was shameful and I'm glad they
were exonerated.  And since I didn't join in any chorus against them when
the charges were first brought, I'm quite comfortable that I'm being
consistent by not screaming for anyone's head here, when the charges have
not been tried.  As far as I'm concerned, the people facing charges here are
innocent, and will remain so until they plead guilty or a jury decides
otherwise.  And in the latter instance, I still may think they're innocent,
if I have sufficient facts to draw that conclusion.

I disagree with your claim that if a white kid had committed this battery,
he'd be hung out to dry already.  Most batteries in Latah county don't have
a tenth of the publicity this one has had.

You criticize the treatment of the Duke kids, and yet you're demanding the
same rush to judgment here.  I think it would be preposterous to suspend
this kid before his trial.  Worse crimes have occurred and students have not
been suspended.  If he's found not guilty, or if this case is dropped, how
does he get back his semester?  No, I hope reason prevails and there is no
suspension.  If he's found guilty or pleads guilty, then a decision can be
made with more facts at hand.  Just because some witness says something, or
an officer writes something in a report does not mean that's actually what
happened.

Warren's post about ownership of certain words is on the money.  There's an
ugly Tamil word used for dark-skinned Indians (and I'm talking sub-continent
here).  My brother and I use it for each other sometimes, and we both
understand we're being ironic, and we both know that if we  used it as an
insult on a stranger, we'd be inviting a foot up our asses.  If I went and
used that word on some other Indian I don't know, I know I'd be insulting
them with a word intended to be hurtful and I'd deserve to be condemned for
it.

I won't pretend I think it's great for African Americans to use that word,
but I don't have a problem with the idea that I don't get to use it, or that
you don't either.  I never had a problem with that, and I cannot understand
why you do.  I cannot understand your posts on this issue at all.  It almost
seems that you are saying, 'If they use it, what's wrong with me using it?'
Sorry, doesn't work.  If you're going to use that word, you're going to get
labeled, and you've earned it.  I hope that isn't what you're saying, and if
I've misinterpreted what you've written, I'm sorry, but that's what I end up
with every time you post on this.

Sunil