[Vision2020] HIS VIEW: What Christians should repent of (and why)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Apr 10 13:26:20 PDT 2007

I, too, applaud Kurt Queller for his essay in the Daily News.  Kurt and I are friends, and I'm proud to know someone as insightful and reasonable as he is.  Kudos to him for his article . . . and I'm eager to read what the Kirk has to say.  But of course none of them will reply on Vision, and I doubt anyone will write a letter to the editor of the DN.  Nonetheless, Kurt reveals himself to be a scholar and a gentleman in pointing out the twisted theology of those who pretend to have great wisdom but instead have patched together a theology that makes it necessary that straight white men remain at the center of every debate.My dear friend Rose Huskey calls it "wanting to be the bride at every wedding."  I call it pseudo-intellectual posturing, and I think Kurt called it absolutely as it is.keelyFrom: deco at moscow.comTo: vision2020 at moscow.comDate: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:35:27 -0700Subject: Re: [Vision2020] HIS VIEW: What Christians should repent of (and	why)

Those curious:

The article by Kurt Keller passed on to V 2020 by Ms. Lund illustrates how
easily crackpotism* can be birthed and accepted.  This comment is in
reference to the crackpotism of Cultmaster Douglas Wilson and his
ghostwriter/enforcer/snoop Douglas Jones.

Keller references an article in Credenda/Agenda (aka
Crudinto/Adumpster) entitled "Owning the Curse: Rethinking Same-Sex
Marriage." {http://www.credenda.org/issues/16-2memorandum.php}

In this prime example of crackpotism Wilson and Jones assert among other
things:

"Homosexuality is a judgment from God."

"Homosexuality is primarily a judgment against the
Church."

"Christian fathers are a primary cause of the curse of
homosexuality."

"Homosexuality will only pass when Christian fatherhood
is pleasing to God."

"The destruction of our civil order:

In true
repentance, we should invert as many contemporary categories as we can—own the
curse of homosexuality upon our parenting, grant the science, and explicitly
embrace God's transformation of our civil order. True repentance in the Church,
not trust in civil coercion, will either restore that order or establish a
different order. So we openly accept homosexual marriage in the civil realm as
God's means of undermining that civil realm, and we accept that He has done this
in judgment for wicked fathering within the Church."

What makes this and thousands of other biblical views of homophobia,
etc crackpotism is its lack of any kind of verifiable evidence, and what is
especially clear from the article reference above, Jones and Wilson's support of
their view with a mishmash and exaggerated interpretation of select,
contextually unrelated biblical passages.  Almost crackpot with the
motivation can take a few scattered biblical passages and build an argument
supporting almost any nonsensical thesis.

Such tactics are used by the bereft preachers on the corners of urban
tenderloins and other screechers and dividers.  That's why such are called
crackpots.  Take away the wealth that Wilson and Jones have amassed from
their credulous followers and take away their fancy robes and clothes, it would
be hard to distinguish them from the half dozen sky pilots found at the corner
of 3rd and Main Streets in Los Angeles at almost any hour of the day.

Although I am a nonbeliever, it is clear that Jones, Wilson, and others of
their ilk have thoroughly perverted the urgings of Christ and have derailed
their ovine, caught-in-a-cult followers from the central message of Christ found
in Matthew 25:36 et seq.

31 "When the Son
of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his
glory.
32 All the
nations will be gathered before him, and he
will separate people one from another as a
shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
33 and he will
put the sheep at his right hand and the
goats at the left.
34 Then the king
will say to those at his right hand, 'Come,
you that are blessed by my Father, inherit
the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
35 for I was
hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you
welcomed
me,
36 I was naked
and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'

37 Then the righteous
will
answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink?

38 And when
was it that we saw you a stranger and
welcomed you, or naked and gave you
clothing?
39 And when was
it that we saw you sick or in prison and
visited you?'
40 And the king
will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as
you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'
41 Then he will
say to those at his left hand, 'You that are
accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;
42 for I was
hungry and you gave me no food, I was
thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,
43 I was a
stranger and you did not welcome me, naked
and you did not give me clothing, sick and
in prison and you did not visit me.'
44 Then they also
will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw
you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked
or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?'
45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you
did not do it to one of the least of these,
you did not do it to me.'
46 And these will
go away into eternal punishment, but the
righteous into eternal life."
The above words of Christ are simple and direct.  Upon hearing and/or
reading them one cannot be struck by how far the dribble from Cultmaster Wilson
is not only at variance with them, but totally inconsistent with them.  If
by some remote chance the words of Christ are true, then Wilson's followers have
bought expensive tickets for the most unpleasant destination on their afterlife
voyage as a result of their folly.

One can only hope that the congregants of the Christless Church Cult
will grow tired of depriving themselves and families by financing Wilson's
vanity enterprise, Canon Press.

If that Happens, do not worry about Jones and Wilson being out of
jobs.  Jones would be a perfect fit for the editorship of American
Rodent Monthly and Wilson a prime fit for Expediting Trailer Court
Evictions Journal.  And of course, their hack Ed Iverson could
amass wealth by becoming a prolific contributor to Pulp Science Fiction
magazine.

Wayne A. Fox1009 Karen LanePO Box 9421Moscow, ID
83843

(208) 882-7975waf at moscow.com

Fantasy versus Reality

It is one thing for Cultmaster Douglas
Wilson to write about what he interprets his alleged God has allegedly said or
what his alleged God demands.

In these cases there is no way to
verify or empirically falsify his claims.
They can be falsified by finding internal contradictions and
contradictions with his other writings.

His claims in these matters are
like the claims of those insisting that unicorns exist.  No one can prove that they don't.  That is the so-called beauty of fantasy
-- religious or otherwise.
Wilson can blather on and on about what the
Bible means and what God demands without fear of falsification, save
inconsistency.  Any crackpot can;
any crackpot can even partially convince him/herself that their blather is the
"real truth."  Street corners in the
tenderloins of large cities teem with such eccentrics, each shouting their own
particular religious fantasies, some harmless, others toxic.

However, it is quite another thing for
Wilson to make
claims about ordinary reality, especially where there is massive, clear, cogent
evidence that makes his claims highly improbable, if not delusional.  Such is the case with Wilson's writings on
antebellum slavery.

The latest post from Juanita
Flores aptly demonstrates that when the Cultmaster ventures into the realm where
professional scholarship, knowledge, acumen, and methodology matter, his extreme
egomaniacal arrogance and his abysmal ignorance really shine for all to
see.  Wilson's views on antebellum slavery put him irretrievably
into that "special" class that includes the Holocaust deniers and those that
think flying saucers are going to land to rescue the "Chosen" at end times.

Not unsurprisingly, there are
some that accept Wilson's highly unlikely views on antebellum
slavery and his other equally or even more dubious claims and
pronouncements.  That this belief in
the wildly improbable has occurred in our community and other places despite
Wilson's transpicuous egomania and megalomania is, among other things, a tribute
to Wilson's personal charisma, which causes those enthralled to suspend the use
of their critical judgment, his appalling but highly effective manipulative and
planning skills, and his singular personal persistence in the face of
consistently being shown up as a charlatan.

Whatever the case, Wilson's claims about the
nature of antebellum slavery give further clear evidence that he is on the
crackpot fringe of the crackpot fringe.

But why does the Christ Church Cult Flourish?

When evaluating the actions,
utterances, and writings of Christ Church Cultmaster Douglas Wilson and its
appeal to some, perhaps it might do well to consider the carefully and
professionally referenced research and writings found in Feet of Clay:  A Study of Gurus [spiritual leaders]
by Anthony Storr.

"Confidence tricksters [who are spiritual
leaders] are successful at deception because they are
more than halfway to believing in their own fictions." ... "[and] who have no hesitation in deceiving other people and
extracting money from them..."

[With such individuals]… "We hover on the borderline between confidence trickery
and psychosis."

"A
contemporary described him [the Bhagwan] as
being very bright, but also being a habitual liar."

Many people ask:  "If Wilson is really so far off, why does he have a following,
especially in a community like Moscow, Idaho,
where the intelligence and educational level of the populace is likely much
higher than that of the average community?"

Information from Feet of Clay offers more than just a
hint.  In the chapter on the
Bhagwan, we read:

In 1985 the Bhagwan's
north-central Oregon settlement had 2,500 permanent
residents and another 2,000 long term visitors.  The educational profile of this
group:

83%
were college educated,
64% had
college degrees,
36% had
advanced degrees, and
12% had
doctorates.

Storr refers to research into the
people in the Bhagwan's commune that describes them as being "very
needful."  Their strong needs seemed
to be strivings for discovering some deeper "truth" of the universe and/or a way
to escape the contingencies of worldly life, a life which they found
insufficiently rewarding.  They
believed that the Bhagwan could deliver them to the "truth" and the way to a
"higher state of being."  Thus these
needful people overlooked or forced themselves not to see the Bhagwan's many
obvious failings and dishonesty, nor did they critically question the truth of
his teachings, but swallowed them whole.  For example, they were induced to plan
acts like poisoning the municipal water supply of The Dalles, the residents of which city the
Bhagwan had declared their enemies.
They even ran a successful test poisoning in one small area of The Dalles by infecting
several salad bars with salmonella.

Clearly then, being intelligent or educated is not an
effective prophylactic against being deceived and taken on an expensive ride
into a toxic fantasy by a predatory, power and wealth-hungry confidence
person.  [It is useful to
realize that the Bhagwan at one point had accumulated 83 Rolls Royces.  His Oregon settlement was described as being run
like a concentration camp.  It
abounded with intrusive spying devices and agents to root out possible
dissenters and doubters, alleged dissenters and doubters who were subsequently
treated to very harsh measures should they not repent of their dissent and
doubt.  The structure and operation
of the Christ Church Cult ward system comes to mind in this regard.]

In his assessment of successful,
but manipulative spiritual leaders Storr is in sync with a large body of
research by psychologists and mental health professionals:

Short term, limited in scope
fantasies are generally normal and mostly healthy coping mechanisms people use
to deal with immediate problems of various kinds.

However, long term, large in
scope fantasies, raise the question of pathology.  This is especially so of long term,
large in scope fantasies which are not subject to verification or to
falsification.

The question of pathology depends
on the effects a particular long term, large in scope fantasy has on its
believers' ability to function and on the effects that the believers' actions
have on society.

Long term, large in scope
fantasies which are merely palliative and/or inspirational and which inspire no
or little harm, or which might even promote generally accepted secular good for
society are not generally considered
pathological by many professionals in the field.

However, other such fantasies
which advocate or bring unjustifiable harm or depletion of assets to the
believers, advocate or bring harm to selected targets of the believers, or
advocate or bring harm, sometimes massive harm, to society, are rightly
considered pathological.  Current newsworthy examples of believers
in long term, large in scope pathological fantasies would include
members of Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups.

For the sake of saving words,
henceforth such pathological, long
term, large in scope fantasies will simply be called toxic fantasies for the purposes
hereinafter.

The fantasy promulgated by
Cultmaster Douglas Wilson includes plans for a instituting a theocracy to govern
all of the world's inhabitants, and which theocracy would result in the
execution of most of such inhabitants.
http://www.credenda.org//old/issues/vol3/magi3-11.htm
http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol3/magi3-9.htm

Wilson's long term, large in scale fantasy is
certainly pathological as defined above, and thus is a toxic fantasy.  It is toxic in other well known
ways.  For example, its toxicity
shows in the justification of his and other cult members' otherwise
unjustifiable, dishonest, sometimes illegal actions by the Doctrine of
Covenantal Dishonesty.

Those falling prey to toxic
fantasies promulgated by a manipulative leader suspend their critical evaluation
tools with respect to these fantasies.
They do this because they are in situations where such toxic fantasies
may offer escape from pain and distress, were something deeply implanted into
them in childhood, appeal to other deeply felt needs, may give satisfaction not
easily found in other ways, and/or seem to offer the promise of realizing
something "far better" than is afforded by ordinary, worldly life.

The needs of those captured by
toxic fantasies are so strong that they make such needful, many times naïve,
uncritical, and/or submissive people, easy prey for unscrupulous, exploiting
flimflamers, some of whom may even partially believe their own hooks and lines
of deception.

It is important to remember this
about these toxic fantasies:  They
are neither verifiable nor falsifiable, save for logical inconsistency.  If any were so, there would not be
nearly so much room for disagreement, and hence, there would not be the great
variety of such incompatible, competing toxic fantasies.

There are a minimum of tens of thousands of
these toxic fantasies, each different from and inconsistent with the others,
each with followers who "know" they have found the "truth," and who have made
the "leap of faith" to one particular toxic fantasy.  This disconcerting, but telling fact
apparently neither occurs to, bothers, nor mildly stirs the critical faculties
of those committed to one of these particular toxic fantasies.  Such is the power of strong needs
and the usefulness of knowing how to exploit these strong needs for gains of
personal wealth and power by egocentric, megalomaniacal, sociopathic, and/or
psychopathic spiritual leaders.

Occasionally, one of the
followers of a particular toxic fantasy promulgated by an unscrupulous exploiter
awakens from their acritical, submissive state and realizes the ignominy of the
situation they find themselves in.
When this happens, they become pariahs from the point of view of the
remaining believers of that particular toxic fantasy.  The remaining believers often go to
great lengths to discredit and to harm the apostate, often dishonestly with
little or nor remorse, and whether such vengeful tactics are prohibited by
beliefs found in their particular fantasy or not.

Sometimes, however, the escapees
from a particular toxic fantasy are successful at opening the eyes of some of
the still committed and still exploited, and thus an exodus occurs despite the
security and control measures of the organization promulgating the toxic
fantasy.

Will this happen in Moscow, Idaho?

Stay tuned.