[Vision2020] ASUI Lobbyist Pushes for Scholarships, Faculty Compensation

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 10 11:54:42 PDT 2007

>From today's (April 10, 2007) UI Argonaut with special thanks to Christina
Lords (Reporter for the UI Argonaut) and Emily Davis (ASUI Lobbyist).

It is certainly refreshing to see somebody with a positive outlook on the UI
campus taking action, instead of merely whining about the way they perceive
things to be.

Thanks, Emily.

ASUI lobbyist pushes for scholarships, faculty compensation
Written by Christina Lords -Argonaut
Tuesday, 10 April 2007

Emily Davis has a passion for education, and it shows.
On Jan. 8, she began her term as ASUI's lobbyist for the Idaho State
Legislature, lobbying for funding for critical aspects of higher education,
such as need-based scholarships for students. As of March 28, when the
legislative session ended, she had made some significant progress. Her other
main areas of focus that hit close to home at the University of Idaho were
faculty and staff compensation and facilities maintenance funding.

Davis was appointed ASUI lobbyist by ASUI President Berto Cerrillo. Davis
worked on Cerrillo's presidential campaign last year, and held two other
positions within ASUI, including faculty council representative and director
of athletics, before her lobbying position in Boise.

"I had family in Boise and wanted to take on this position, and I already
knew how to lobby," Davis said. "I had about three weeks of rough
preparation to catch up on things."

Cerrillo said he was proud that Davis could excel at such a demanding job.
"I was happy Emily agreed and was eager to be the lobbyist," Cerrillo said.
"I think she did a fantastic job and really broke some new ground."

Davis said she was most proud of her commitment to Gov. Butch Otter's new
Opportunity Scholarship program.

"I never had to question whether or not I was going to get a high education,
but I have seen several people drop out," Davis said. "I know that these
situations could be prevented."

Davis lobbied for Otter's proposal that originally asked for $38 million of
one time funding to be appropriated for the new scholarship program. The
Joint-Finance Appropriations Committee agreed to $10 million for the
program, with $2 million in appropriated funding going to the scholarship
endowment each year.

"Unfortunately, if we're ever in a recession or we have a deficit, that
money will be the first thing to be cut," Davis said. "This is a small
victory for the current and future students of the state of Idaho. The best
part of the scholarship is that it will be based on financial need, not
merit or academics. All students can be helped if needed."

Davis said that the state legislature tends to appropriate more money for
health and welfare and correction facilities than for higher education.
Because Idaho has such a low turnover rate for young adults graduating high
school and continuing their education in a university setting, more and more
students become dependent on the health and welfare system, or end up in
jail, she said.

"If we put more money into education now, we will have to put less money
into these other areas in the future," she said.

Faculty and staff compensation was another topic that Davis fought for
during her time in Boise. She said compensation is a major concern for
anyone who supports higher education. While she feels like lack of adequate
compensation for faculty is a problem throughout the state, she said it is a
major issue at UI.

"When comparing the University of Idaho to out-of-state peers, we average a
salary lag of 15 to 23 percent with our full-time faculty," Davis said.
"This is a concern that will appear again next session. It will take all
students who value their education in the classroom to make sure more
funding is appropriated for it."

Davis' last issue was appropriating funding for facilities maintenance.

"Every college campus has the same problems, including all of our run-down
buildings," she said. "Our big push was for the Kibbie Dome because it's not
just a place for football."

Events like the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, RV shows, graduation and
Vandal Friday are examples of what else the Kibbie Dome is used for, Davis
said. She said she lobbied mainly for the Kibbie Dome because it is not up
to fire standards.

"I mean, just think of all of the thousands of people at the last BSU game.
In the back of my head I'm thinking, 'What if there's a fire?' I just knew
there was no way to get everyone out of there if we had to," Davis said.

Approximately $50.7 million was appropriated for higher education
maintenance across the state. More than $200 million is needed for
maintenance just on the UI campus alone.

"Emily had a very professional demeanor, and was more than I could have ever
asked for," Cerrillo said. "Her time down there was effective, especially
for being a one-time, one-session lobbyist."

"I was generally proud to be able to represent the students of Idaho, and be
able to show my passion for education," Davis said. "I was able to help our
current students, but also future students to come as well."

Davis is a fifth-year senior majoring in public relations and communication
studies. She is originally from Boise.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)