[Vision2020] Moscow's Leading Liberals Own Stock in Wal-Mart

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Apr 10 10:09:06 PDT 2007

Donovan,

1st point:  Many, perhaps most, of those who receive money from PERSI are elderly--certainly I am.
2nd point:  I am going to assume your self-touted compassion for the elderly extends only to those who aren't liberals receiving money from PERSI.  Obviously our needs mean little to you.
3rd point:  I have 3 sources of income: PERSI, which constitutes about 65% of my retirement income; Social Security, which is about 30%, and some funding I receive through my work as an educational consultant.  Yes, I gladly take my money from PERSI, quite a bit of which comes from my contributions over the 30 years I worked as a teacher.
4th point:  I appreciate your pointing out PERSI's investments and I will continue to lobby the PERSI investment board to back off its investments which I feel to be an inappropriate use of teachers' retirement funds.
5th point:  Now why don't you do something productive for the elderly, such as I.  I would suggest a significant effort on your part to lobby the president or our policy makers from Idaho (you are more likely to have elected them than I.)  Maybe a policy change that would allow the government to negotiate with drug companies for Medicare recipients, or a law which would allow us to die with dignity at a time of our choice, should we be incurably ill. I just bet you have as much pull with those folks as I do with the PERSI Board, so hop to it, chum.

Sue