[Vision2020] Amazonian Deforestation and Global Warming:Was:Ed theViking, Greenland, and Global Warming

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Wed Apr 4 08:49:05 PDT 2007

Just a brief note to clarify a recent posting of mine:  When I described the left's view of humanity as the root of all evil, I was not referring to original sin, but to the contemporary view that our effect on this planet is always negative.  It also seems to be the left's position that our effects on each other are predominantly negative.

As to the first point:  As the climate has changed time and time again, over millions of years, from extremes of hot and cold, wet and dry, we are advised that we are now responsible for this most recent shift in temperatures.  Our effect is negative.  When loggers cut trees to provide shelter, it devastates habitat.  But when loggers reforest, or home owners plant trees, these activities are never weighed into the equation.  Our effect is always characterized as negative or destructive.  I remember a fascinating experience as I was attempting, some 12 years ago, to help my toddler play Microsoft's "Dangerous Creatures" "educational" software.  The opening screen held what looked like a calendar, with a different toothed beast in each box; lions, tigers, bears, wolves.  I was struck by the inclusion in this collage of a diaper clad human infant!  Curious, I clicked on this image meant for young children, and was advised that the human being was the most destructive species on the planet, being responsible for the destruction of this that and the other thing.   Well.  Quite a message to teach our young, wouldn't you say?  And we wonder why their self esteem is at times lacking.  It is this type of hostile, self-loathing posture of today's liberals toward humanity that I meant to refer to.

As to our effect on each other, the war in Iraq provides a glaring example.  The left views the conflict through the above template, peaceable little country being overrun by resource hungry, imperialistic behemoth with no regard for human rights.  Destruction right and left, wholesale torture and death even among the civilian population.  A closer, less hyperventilating examination reveals that examples of torture are VERY sporadic, and the uncondoned actions of a few idiots, not official policy.  Further inspection reveals that we are in fact engaged in a number of humanitarian activities, building schools and providing infrastructure, etc.  Contrary to the left wing view that all Iraqis long for our defeat and removal, it becomes apparent that in fact 97 some percent of them are tickled to have us there and embrace the recent changes.  One learns that we are fighting the other 3% who are in many cases Saddam loyalists and those sponsored by Syria and others to shoot at American troops in exchange for cash.  This reality was most recently confirmed by my discussion of our Iraqi policy with a recently discharged, JASOC sniper with many hours of experience in Cambodia, Iraq and Aphghanistan whom I encountered while scouting the woods around St,. Maries.

I simply wish to suggest to liberals that perhaps human beings are capable of some good, at least every once in a while.   That we are not doomed to devastate our environment and die, piteously wailing for more, without the benevolent guidance of the anointed.

Later,

-Tony