[Vision2020] engine tax

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 11:00:37 PDT 2006

Chris,

 I had the same problem with my Mazda 323. But I took  it a Mazda dealer and the part they put in broke twenty four hours  later when I was in another town. When I returned it complaining the  part had failed, they said they would only fix it if I paid them more  money. What the mechanic didn't realize was that I was in process of  buying a car from their dealership. Since they treated me that way, I  went somewhere else to buy a car.

 Same story with Paradise  Ford. They charged me for $70 for a car wash. I took my Ford Escort  into the dealership to get the motors for the electric windows looked  at. I told them that I think the window's motors needed replacing. They  said they would charge $70 because they had to take the door panels off  and test them.

 They called me six hours later telling me my  car was ready. What did they tell me? That my windows motor was broken.  Which is the same thing I told them. I checked the door panels that  could tell that they never removed them, the plastic pins have to be  replaced in the door panel when removed, and the plastic pins were the  same ones because they were scratched in the same place and in the same  position.

 In addition, they quoted me a price for the  window motors that was 3-4 times higher than every other parts  dealership in Moscow, and the Ford Dealership in Spokane, which  obviously get the same parts from the same place.

 I would  never go to Paradise Ford in Moscow for their rip off attitude toward  their customers. Same thing with Post Falls Mazda.

 I will  say however, the Toyota Dealership in Cd'A is awesome, as is the Honda  Dealership in Post Falls, very honest high quality people. I also miss  that repair shop on Third Street that shut down, they were awesome.

  Best,

  _DJA

Chris Storhok <cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us> wrote:  Ah yes, the good old Japanese engine tax.  What is missing from the
story is some off the interesting side effects of this tax as there is
more to the story than a tax on the size of the engine.  The same law
also pretty much mandates that once an engine hits 50,000 miles it no
longer will meet Japanese emission standards, if you want to keep the
engine you have to pay a tax; however, if you replace the engine, the
tax is waived.   The result of this tax is an almost inexhaustible
supply of after market engines and parts that are shipped around the
world to non-authorized parts suppliers and mechanics.  Have any of you
ever wondered how come there is such a price difference for parts
between shops that are certified by Honda, Toyota, Subaru and the other
guy who "specializes in foreign cars"?  It's the parts.  Believe me, I
found out the hard way many years back when I had trouble with the fuel
pump of my Mazda 626 (at that time the 626 was built in Japan).  I went
to an unauthorized repair shop in Moscow (it closed in the 90's),
naturally to save a buck, and they slapped on a really cheap fuel pump.
Six months later they put on another one, finally I took it to the one
dealer in town who had a certified shop and they explained the problem
to me.  I did a bit of research on my own and found out that the
certified dealer had told me the truth; the cheap shop had replaced my
fuel pump with a used pump.

On the positive side of the equation, if you happen to own and race
Japanese cars in SCCA events, you have a really great supply of cheap
parts that usually need replacing after a race or two anyway...

Chris