[Vision2020] engine tax

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:15:02 PDT 2006

Paul , and interested others.
The fossil fuel issue is a problem that requires resolution. Thank you for
your efforts.

In the 80’s Honda started selling a small road bike, the Rebel. It had a 250
cc engine. The story I heard was that it was introduced in Japan initially
because motorcycles over 250 cc enjoyed a whopping huge sin tax. The tax
percentage increased with cc increase.
Sounds reasonable to me.
I suspect in the future our transportation will be controlled through
registration against  measured carbon output. Much as most states test for
more immediately toxic emissions at the present time.

Rules are changing. The two stroke engine emission restrictions have just
recently radically changed engine design. Shindaiwa www.shindaiwa.com/  runs
a four stroke trimmer engine oiled like a two stroke.

Smaller engines = Less carbon output.

I think we need transportation grids with weight class restrictions.
Example, in cities remove the passenger limit in the carpool lane and
introduce a weight limit. Two people in a Suburban will never be more
efficient than one person in a Civic.

D. Sarff