[Vision2020] engine tax

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 18:26:04 PDT 2006

Fellow vision2020-ites,

While wandering aimlessly through the internet one day (meaning that I
don't remember where I came across it), I found out that Japan has an
engine tax.  The smaller and more fuel-efficient the engine, the smaller
the tax.  The tax apparently ranges from about $40 to $800 or so
annually, iirc.  People who own more than one car would presumably be
taxed on both.  In these days of higher gas prices, global warming, and
pollution concerns, it seems to me like it could be a good idea for our
country to adopt.  We could start with lower numbers and add it in to
the registration cost.  That's presuming, I guess, that the registration
cost doesn't already include it.  Does anyone know what that amount is
comprised of?

Any thoughts on this?  Is it a good idea?

Paul