[Vision2020] You're Doing One Heckufa Job on the Economy, Bushie!

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 22 18:27:15 PDT 2006

Greetings:

I was hoping to get some substantial feedback from my column on the U. S. economy, but my two critics fail basic reading comprehension.

Nowhere in this article or anything that I've ever written, have I said that businesses should not make a profit.  My point was that when most the productivity of a business goes to profits and less to the workers who produces the goods, then there is something terrible wrong with our economy.  In the old days workers would have been rebelling, but now most of them have been seduced into thinking that it's OK for their bosses to steal all the fruits of their labor.

The truth is in this statistic: Since 1979, adjusted for inflation, the poor have received no raises, the middle class has gone up $200 a year, and the rich have increased their income by 111.3 percent.  Even Adam Smith would have been scandalized by this, and would have probably given up his idea of the "invisible hand" that gave us "trickle down" economics.

Nick Gier