[Vision2020] OT WAS: RE: Ellen Goodman, baby killer...

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 22 10:47:02 PDT 2006

Greetings:

Great minds are so in tune with each other, Bob!

Using a very similar thought experiment (being hooked to a famous violinist
without your permission), Judith Jarvis Thomson wrote a now famous article for
"Philosophy and Public Affairs."

The power of Thomson's argument is that the violinist is a person, but our
moral, legal, and religious tradition has recognized the fetus as a person only
late in pregnancy, a position that corresponds to the Supreme Court decision of
1973.

I humbly offer my own views on this topic at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/abortion.htm.

Nick Gier