[Vision2020] Innocent Man Sent to Syria and Tortured

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 11:50:23 PDT 2006

Bruce,

 I can understand your concern. And I certainly don't  trust this administration to use its power wisely and fairly in the  protection of this nation. It hasn't so far.
 I also don't think  that torture should be a legal practice in the United States. But I  don't lose any sleep over the injustice of criminals that kill  thousands of people horribly that end up in a torture chamber  someplace.

 Where I disagree with you is what powers the  United States has to protect itself. I think the United States has  every right to be able to export non US citizens in this country to any  other country it deems fit to protect its national security.

  Canada, not the US, is responsible for protecting Canadian citizens.  Canada, was the one that reported to the United States he was a  terrorist in NYC. Canada obviously knew that the US on the 1st  anniversary of 911 in NYC would not react with giving him a red carpet  landing. Canada should have 1) Prevented him from leaving Canada if  they thought he was a threat, or did they discover all this information  on the few hours flight over here?. 2) Better researched their  information before screaming fire in a crowded theater in a room full  of people that just lived through a horrible fire. 3) Given him a trial  before handing him over to the US.

 I have a bigger issue  with the US government torturing US citizens or torturing non-US  citizens on US soil. None of this has been discovered. No US citizen  has been deported from the US and tortured. The US deported a Canadian  citizen from US soil at the behest and urgency of the Canadian  government.

 Regarding trials. I don't think that  international trials are real. They are all fake, take years, cost  millions, and really are just for show. Why isn't Saddam dead yet,  certainly not for lack of guilt. Can we name anyone that was last tried  in an international court that was properly sentenced before 1955?

  It is up to the United States to protect US citizens. It is up to Syria  to protect Syrian citizen rights. It is up to Russia to protect Russian  citizen rights. It is not the US's responsibility to protect the rights  of other citizens all over the world, as you are suggesting. It has  neither the resources nor the monetary means.

 You cannot  blame the US for abducting citizens of other countries when those  citizens are plotting against the US. If countries like Saudi Arabia,  Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc, and others would police their own  people, and prevent them from attacking the United States, the US would  not have to imprison their citizens to keep itself safe.

  The US, realistically only has three options.

  1) It can pick through millions and millions of people in the world, in  cooperation with other countries, and try to grab a few hundred or  thousand that are the true threat, or:

  2) It can carpet bomb entire countries that hate the US and wish it harm, killing people at random.

  3) Do nothing an let these people plot and kill Americans and Westerners on US soil and elsewhere.

  I like option 1 best. It kills less innocent people while maximizing the protection of US citizens.

  The idea of having a trial for each foreigner in a war is preposterous.  It doesn't work. It is up to each countries government to either;

  A) Find the culprits for the US themselves, using their legal system
  B) Have the US find them for them if they cannot
  C) Go to War with the US

  The trial and the rights of those handed to the US should take place in  their own country BEFORE they are placed into US custody, not after.

  If you know of a system that is perfect, and kills or injures no  innocent people, just gets the guilty ones, I hope you speak up.

  If someone is to have a trial ask this:

  Does the US Taxpayer pay for every trial and appeal of every single person plotting against the US?

  What rights exactly do they get?

  How much is spend on each prisoner's trial?

  What if the country says they are guilty but the US says they are innocent?

  What if one is released and kill thousands of US citizens? Is that OK?

  Who resides over the trial?

  How long can the trial last?

  Can any country donate to the defense of the accused?

  What shall the prison cells offer? Outside communication allowed?

  What will be considered evidence, and what will not?

  Who will the Jury, other terrorists (a jury of their peers, if you will)?

  Will the trial be public where US military secrets will be spread, or  in private where we will not know if it was a fair trial?

  Just a few things to ponder and answer to yourself if not in a return email.

  Best,

  _DJA

Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com> wrote:  Donovan, I agree with much of what you say regarding the initial stop and
questioning of this Canadian man who turned out to be innocent.  If the
facts you describe are accurate, I think the stop and questioning are
appropriate.

What is not OK, in my opinion, is refusing to arrest and try people for the
crime of which they have been suspected of committing.  Even worse is
"renditioning" them to another country where they may be tortured or held
forever (or in THIS instance for "only" four years) without charges under
hellish conditions that violate the Geneva Convention.

This notion that the Constitution and our high moral ground may be ignored
and ceded in the name of "protecting the homeland" no matter the cost to our
principles that formed the basis for our foundation by the framers of the
Constitution is the nub of our current political crisis.  Under the current
administration we are making policy that more than anything relies upon
absolute power and the idea that "might is right" and "because we can,"
while short-sightedly ignoring the long term consequence to our interests
when other countries decide they too can re-define the Geneva Convention to
suit "their" interests.  Not to mention ignoring the guiding principles that
subverted the power of government to the people, and a preference for
individual rights to challenge the power of Kings, out of a mis-trust of
Kings.

This notion that our moral principles can be compromised out of "necessity"
and that liberty and freedom of the individual and the protection of
individual rights can be sacrificed in favor of the State's all knowing
belief or even mere suspicion, based on secret information that cannot be
tested for its truth, that our protection justifes these incursions on our
principles is absolutely wrong and antithetical to the American way.  I
understand that the current administration is taking a mitlitary viewpoint
of collateral damage being a necessary evil, that good men and women must
die (or in this case be renditioned and tortured even though they are
innocent) for the sake of the greater good.  But in my opinion this goes so
far beyond what our founders envisioned that it cannot be right.  It is like
saying that the execution of a some innocent people by our justice system is
an acceptable cost of doing business, that if we miss on a few innocents and
execute them, too bad, and that executing some innocent people is just a
cost of doing business as a nation that imposes the death penalty.  I cannot
accept that executing the innocent as cost of doing business is "OK in the
scheme of things," and for the same reason, I cannot accept that we become
like King George the Third of England, the Spanish Inquisition, or whatever
King prompted the rebellion of lords and nobles ending in the signing of the
Magna Carta.  Imprisoning people at the whim of a few cloistered power
brokers at the top of the government and holding those people in prison for
as long as government deems acceptable at the government's sole discretion
(whoever "the government" may be, now or in the future), without trial,
without basic human rights, without the right of habeas corpus, well, it's
unconscionable.

The tables will turn one day, and as absolute power corrupts absolutely,
another president of this country will take the inch, er - the mile, that
this President Bush has taken, and stretch it further.  Or the head of state
of another counrtry or countries will do the same, and our people will
suffer the consequences.  Having ceded the moral ground, we will have bare
entreaties of mercy to argue against the next set of mistreatment by someone
else.

Thank goodness for McCain, Warner, Graham and Powell.  It is about time some
of the good people in the Republican party stood up to Cheney, Bush,
Rumsfeld and Gonzales and stood up for American principles.

Bruce Livingston