[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Innocent Man Sent to Syria and Tortured

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 08:33:48 PDT 2006

In your "rape suspect" scenario, I wouldn't blame them at all for
arresting me and taking me to jail.  I would blame them considerably for
not using the court system, though, which is where most of this
criticism is coming from.  We're keeping detainees for years without
access to the court system.  Sure a few of them have been sent before
"tribunals" where they don't get to even see the evidence that the
government has against them.  We're getting away with torturing them for
information because they have no access to the court systems.  Now we're
sending them to countries where we know they will be tortured without
going through the courts.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that they are so afraid of the court system
that they will go so far out of their way to avoid it?  Now they are
attempting to change the laws so that when this whole mess breaks they
won't be charged with war crimes.  I hope this country isn't stupid
enough to let them.

Paul