[Vision2020] Innocent Man Sent to Syria and Tortured

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 21 03:00:06 PDT 2006

Get a grip guys. The man was innocent, sent to Syria, and subsequently tortured. If you cannot admit that the US made several mistakes in this instance, what would it take to do so?

--
Joe Campbell

---- Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
I think we have to think about this for a moment. Obviously, nobody is justifying torture.

  However, I don't think the United States just randomly picked on a guy.  This guy flew into NY City on Sept. 26, 2002. That was just after the  anniversary of  September 11, 2001. The guy fit the profile of the  those that flew the airplanes, and they received a phone call from the  country he just came from saying to stop him because he was a terrorist  and was communicating with Bin Laudin and had a plane ticket to visit a  middle eastern country linked to terrorists. He also  was not a  native born Westerner but Middle Easterner.

 The guy  happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time matching the  description of someone the authorities were looking for. He had a  really bad stroke of luck.

 If you happened to be  going for a midnight walk to get some fresh air and a man matching your  description, height, weight, hair and eye color, and wearing the same  thing as you, just raped a woman ten blocks away , and a witness  fingered you as "That's the guy!" to a police officer, could you blame  the officers for taking you in?

  What happened after that was upsetting. But let us be realistic about this and how the world works.

  Best,

  _DJA

Dick Sherwin <rvrcowboy at clearwire.net> wrote:              As  I understand this story, the U.S. depended on Canadian officials as to  the status of this "Innocent Man" and he was deported to Syria based on  information from Canada.  Is this true, or am I wrong?

  At  any rate, mistakes do happen and perhaps the U.S. officials should have  checked out the validity of the claims by the Canadian Immigration  people more closely.  I am sure that Ted and Joe would have made  sure, beyond the word of officials of this guy's own government, that  he should not have been deported to Syria.

  Point  being, we have all heard the story now boys.  You can stop trying  to make it appear the United States purposefully exiled an innocent man  to a country where our government knew he would be beaten and  mistreated.  I know it is difficult for you both to just let such  an opportunity drop but, believe me, it is no longer current  news.  Get over it.

  Dick S