[Vision2020] Fw: why is Moscow growing?

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 13:56:47 PDT 2006

Should we look to other places to see why "the right" businesses have moved there?  Does the cost of property, labor, and electrical rates play a part?  And to what extent?

The first place that comes to my mind is the city of George, WA.  They are in the process of having major companies such as Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. relocating some of their business because 1. land is cheap, 2. labor is relatively cheap, and 3.  electrical rates are ridiculously low (maybe the lowest in the nation).  I don't know if their location to a major interstate is a factor or not, but they are within 15 min. of I-90.

Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com> wrote:     v\:* {  BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } o\:* {  BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } w\:* {  BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } .shape {  BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) }    st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                 One other thought that occurs to me as I mention high tech  companies that fit the bill for the kinds of economic development we ought to be  encouraging is that I totally spaced the infrastructure improvement that the  City has recently sought to undertake which is directed toward the kinds of  companies that we hope will grow and develop here -- extending a fiber  optic connection in a continuous  loop beyond downtown, extending   to Alturas business park up Mountainview to D Street (Eggan Youth Center,  I believe) and back to downtown.  And in thinking about that, I realize  that I completely forgot the host for this list, First Step Internet, which has  also extended high-speed connectivity
 throughout Latah County and their local  ISP competitor, Cactus Computers.  I'm sure there are other businesses that  I've forgotten, EMSI, for example, but my list was not meant to be  exclusive,  just illustrative.

 Bruce  Livingston