[Vision2020] City Council on the Beebe Rezone tonight

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Wed Sep 20 10:48:10 PDT 2006

The real issue with this rezone is that the Main St. parcel is an
illegal spot zone. As one goes South on Main, there's Central
Business (CB), then one parcel of Industrial (I), then one Parcel of
General Business (GB -- the Palouse Medical Building), and another
parcel of Industrial that Mr. Beebe would like to be CB.

This is not planning and it is not zoning. It is accommodating the
financial interests of individual property owners by simply jumping
through hoops to make it "legal." That's a waste of very one's time
and money.

The problem is that City has adopted a zoning system based on
defining areas for specific uses while in practice it is
implementing  something entirely different--a project-based system.
As a result, we do not have the rules we need to ensure that
redevelopment will fit into the City's vision for an area.

There's the conundrum. At this point in the process in our code, the
decision makers are not allowed to know Mr. Beebe's plans.
Apparently, Central Business (CB) is the closest zoning description
that would allow his project. But--as a recognition of the fact that
there is no place to put off street parking in the original downtown
area--CB does not require it. So, regardless of how many vehicles Mr.
Beebe's project will attract, he is not required to provide parking.
Now what does the City do?

As I have said, the City needs to look at the entire, out-of-date
Industrial zone and decide what to do with it BEFORE we end up with a
hodgepodge of single parcel "zones."

Kit Craine