[Vision2020] Commitment to Peace Event

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:49:16 PDT 2006

Commitment to Peace:  Peace Day 2006
Join the Worldwide Movement to Create Day of Peace and Nonviolence
When:   September 21 - The International Day of Peace 11:30 am-12:30 pm
                With Global observance of a moment of Silence at noon.

Where:  University of Idaho Commons Food Court.

Who:            You and all who care about building Cultures of Peace
for the children of this and future generations.  We will be joined by
Iain               Campbell Smith, Volunteer civilian in peace
monitoring missions..

Why:            To mark our individual and collective progress toward
building Cultures of Peace, and serve as a reminder of our permanent
commitment to Peace, above all interests and differences of any kind.
Sign a proclamation for a Day of Peace

EVERY DAY is an opportunity for Each of Us to be a pathway for peace;
each day brings a renewed hope and personal promise for a future of
non-violence and peace in our homes, our communities and between
nations.
Peace Begins With YOU . ME . US . TODAY..
Please come to the University of Idaho Commons Food Court, Thursday,
September  21, 2006 from 11:30-12:30 to observe the International Day of
Peace.  All United Nations member countries have agreed that this day
should be observed as a Global Ceasefire and day of nonviolence. (United
Nations Resolution 55/282).  The International Day of Peace provides an
opportunity for individuals, organizations and nations to create
practical acts of Peace across the world on a shared date. Use the
International Day of Peace annually to highlight the Decade for a
Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World, 2001 to
2010.  Individuals and Nations, acting in concert, DO make a difference
in the quality of our lives, our institutions, our environment and our
planetary future. Through cooperation, we manifest the essential Spirit
that unites us amid our diverse ways.

Peace embraces the deepest hopes of all peoples and remains humanity's
hope and guiding inspiration. Let us celebrate this day TOGETHER:
individuals, groups, communities, and institutions.  You are invited to
take part in this gathering to mark our individual and collective
progress toward building Cultures of Peace, and serve as a reminder of
our permanent commitment to Peace, above all interests and differences
of any kind.  Let each one of us make a pledge to observe how everyday
actions can facilitate peace.

You will have an opportunity to sign a proclamation for the Day of Peace
and join others in listening to Iain Campbell Smith. Iain is a Martin
Forum speaker, a civilian participant in key peacekeeping missions in
Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, as part of a peace monitoring operation
and well-known singer/songwriter who will share some of his songs and
music with us.  Together we will join millions around the world for
observation of Moment of Silence for peace at Noon.

For further information:
http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/

Peace Day proclamation
(sample at http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/proclamation-mayor.htm

Special Thanks to Bill Smith, Director of Martin Institute for inviting
Mr. Iain Campbell Smith to the University of Idaho.

Hope that you will take part in this event.

Thank you

Rula
Rula Awwad-Rafferty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Interior Design Program Coordinator
Department of Architecture and Interior Design
College of Art and Architecture
University of Idaho