[Vision2020] Computer Voting: Technology Fiasco Update

Ken kmmos at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 06:41:00 PDT 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 11:09 am, Ted Moffett wrote:

> Thanks for this critical information...

You're welcome. Unfortunately, the news gets worse -- see the update below.

> As we attempt to bring democracy to Iraq by force, a nation that is not
> ready for it even if a majority there think it a good idea, here in the
> USA we have one of the lowest rates of participation in elections of any
> established democracy, along with an electoral system that has numerous
> flaws and potential for abuse, denying access to voting, or a fair count
> of all votes, for many citizens.

Bringing democracy to Iraq may be represented by the white surplice covering
the black underrobe representing control of indigenous oil flows and export
destinations, and an attempt to establish a regional geopolitical hegemony.
White over black, salvation over sin; a relationship neither new or news.

> These electronic voting machines that do not provide a backup document
> for vote recounts, along with the demonstrated potential for manipulation
> of the electronic vote total, are a discouragement to voting for a
> cynical public that already believes in large numbers that voting is a
> waste of time.

Bringing technological assistance to the election process is analogous,
again, to the white surplice of projected goodness covering the black
underrobe representing an attempt to wrest control from American voters.
Invading the homeland with new remotely-controllable voting technology, the
aggressors attempt to maintain further a national political hegemony via
boldly allowing electronic backdoors into the vote counting process. Shock
and awe, indeed.

Diebold AccuVote-TS UPDATE:

The researchers at Princeton University who recently released a video and a
technical paper illustrating and detailing the security flaws of the
Diebold AccuVote-TS device have since discovered and disclosed that the
physical key that unlocks the device door to insert and to retrieve the
system's USB memory card is easily available via the Internet. The key is
widely used for various office furniture products and for hotel alcoholic
beverage cabinets.

Links with further information and comments in response to the news include
the Freedom To Tinker site at:

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1064

and the Information Technology (IT) Internet site slashdot.org:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/09/18/178218.shtml

Ken Marcy