[Vision2020] Detainees (was Donovan: Liar, Idiot, or both?)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 18:28:58 PDT 2006

Here's the problem.  We don't know if any of those detainees are
"guilty", "innocent", or merely "not-guilty".  We can't, without a
trial.  So it follows that it should be inhumane to keep them in custody
for years without the benefit of a fair trial because some of them may
be "innocent" in the true sense of the word.  I would argue that we
shouldn't be torturing even guilty terrorists, because we lose the moral
high ground.  Not to mention that the data gathered that way is usually
suspect.

You apparently trust the government, the military, and the individual
soldiers not to grab innocent people and detain them.  I say that people
make mistakes - that's why we need trials.

And since when is "wanting to do real harm to the US" even illegal?
Planning an actual event, yes, but simply hating the US?  These aren't
even our citizens we are talking about.  We don't have the right to
arrest our own citizens for thought crimes, why would we think we have
the right to arrest citizens of another country for them?

In my opinion, we've botched this mess up so much that most movie
studios would throw out such a script as being too implausible.  To say
nothing, then, is un-American.

I want our old values back.  I want our government to reflect the true
worth I see in the most members of our country individually.  To let our
great country go down this road any farther is truly unpatriotic, in my
view.

I don't know how we can get out of Iraq without causing even more unrest
there, but we need to find a way.  Then we should be responding to
terrorism by making common-sense security upgrades that don't trample on
people's rights and working with the U.N. to identify hot spots and
training grounds and eradicate them.  Most of all, we should get back to
"business as usual" and stop letting our politicians work us into
killing frenzies about the subject.  We should rebuild the Twin Towers.
We should never forget, but we shouldn't let the memory of that event
paralyze us with fear, either.

Paul