[Vision2020] Sunil and His Defense of Terrorists and ConvictedChild Molesters

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 10:00:35 PDT 2006

Tom,

It is true that I defend convicted child molesters at sentencing hearings
that occur after a client has been convicted by a jury (or a judge in
juvenile cases) at the sentencing hearing and in subsequent legal
proceedings, or at a post-conviction hearing filed by a client who is
usually in prison.  If a convicted child molester is charged with a new
crime, then I may defend that person.  As a public defender I don't judge my
clients; there is no shortage of people ready to do this (regardless of how
much or how little information they have about the crime or the criminal)
and it's not my place or job to do so.  I try to represent them to the best
of my ability, and I don't apologize for this.

I have never represented a convicted terrorist as a lawyer, though I would
were I to be appointed to do so or if I were retained to do so.  I did
represent a witness in Sami al Hussein's case, and am happy I was able to
offer him assistance.  Perhaps Donovan would like to insult me for doing so.

As one who believes our judicial system has underlying principles, I believe
that all people who are held have the right to due process and a fair and
proper hearing.  I do not believe that we have the right to imprison people,
no matter what we label them, forever, or to try them in kangaroo courts.
This is a defense of legal principle and human rights.  I consider it a
defense of our country, and the notion that we have enduring principles
These are beliefs that Donovan neither shares nor supports.  He is a fan of
expedience.

Though Donovan does not support the Iraq war, he appears to find the Bush
Administration infallible once they arrest or confine a Muslim.  At that
point he believes it is appropriate to hold that person indefinately.  I
find this position shameful and disgusting, and Donovan finds me repugnant
because of this, I am willing to live with the loss of his approval.

It is interesting to note the subject line of Donovan's most recent post.
He has claimed he only attacks those who attack him.  Most recently he
incorrectly made fun of Keely's spelling; I asked him if he wanted the same
done to him.  Since we all post all too quickly, we all make spelling
errors, and few of us would really want to have our own posts criticized for
our typos.  This is the point I was making.

Donovan, in the thoughtful and Christian response we have all learned so
well, responds by attacking my character in a way that has the smallest germ
of truth but is intended to be a slur.  I have written him offline and
pointed out that hatred of Middle Easterners has often resulted in racial
slurs and threats being directed towards me; I have told him that I consider
his calling me a defender of terrorists could actually be harmful to me.
You see the effect (or is it 'affect' Donovan?) my request has had on him.

Of course, this is the man, or aging adolescent, who has suggested it would
benefit the gene pool if children were to die playing in construction sites
that should be off-limits if their parents fail to provide proper
supervision, so I would be foolish to expect better of him.

Sunil