[Vision2020] CoetransferredtospecialcommitmentcenteronMcNeilIsland

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Sep 11 08:14:00 PDT 2006

OK, stop.

Assuming that no one need defend Sunil's place as a member of civilized
society, could we re-frame the debate?  J Ford feels that rape and
molestation can leave scars -- physically, emotionally, and spiritually --
that kill something of essence in a victim's very being, resulting in a form
of "living" death that causes more suffering than purely organic death.  In
her passion to make the point, she has perhaps lumped the horror of Uncle
Bucky feeling up his young neice -- and that is a horror -- with actual
rape, murder, and other indisputably horrific acts.  All, she says, can
result in intense, lifelong, unremitting grief, anger, and pain.  Bucky
ought to be put away for such an offense, and yet most of us can see that
while he is a vile, loathsome worm, he is probably not a danger to society
in the same way Joseph Duncan is and should be dealt with differently.

J speaks from one platform, as someone who likely knows people who have
suffered in this way; witnessing their pain energizes his/her passion in
addressing the idea that perhaps sexual abuse is "no big deal" compared to
murder -- which Sunil didn't suggest.  And Sunil, speaking as a lawyer and
defender of the American legal system, makes the very valid point that
black-and-white pronouncements legislated in order to make things
scrupulously fair usually make things terribly skewed, resulting in
injustice equal to or greater than what was originally hoped to be remedied.
  He has a passion for justice, for honoring the law as applied to specific
cases involving specific people.  For him -- as would be the case with most
of us -- the term "sexual activity with a child," for example, is very
different when it involves a 19-year-old man and his 16-year-old girlfriend;
the prohibition against adults having sex with children likely was meant to
address something else, no matter how immoral and unwise the 19-year-old's
behavior is.  Sunil wisely argues that justice is un- just when it's not
tempered with perspective, reason, and a consideration of circumstances both
aggravating and mitigating.

Tony, on the other hand, professes a concern for children and victims of
sexual abuse that is belied by his nastiness and coarseness in virtually
every communication, and his entry into the arena is, for me, a sign that
it's probably time to move on.

keely