[Vision2020] lazy people, the elderly, & parking downtown (was "more stuff")

Pennsylvania Place penn_place_boise at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 13:41:47 PDT 2006

How would that be any different if NSA was gone and a thriving local business went in its place? If downtown is bustling, parking right in front of your destination is going to be a problem no matter WHO is responsible.

  I am not unsympathetic to the elderly - but have you tried pushing a stroller or a wheelchair around this town? Or tried to cross 3rd street anywhere between Jackson and Farm Road? The lack of good sidewalks or safe crosswalks in this town is scandalous. The elderly have far more to worry about in Moscow than whether they can park right in front of Wheatberries...

  I have three children under the age of 5, so I do know it can be a hassle to park downtown. But I fail to see how getting rid of NSA (and I am *not* defending them!) would make things much better. In my experience, parking in Moscow is easy in the summer and difficult when the UI & WSU students return.

  And I certainly wasn't calling elderly people lazy - in fact, if more lazy people walked or cycled to downtown, there would be more parking for people who have a compelling reason (other than "our busy modern times") to drive and park.

  Penny P.

Betsy Dickow <betsyd at turbonet.com> wrote:
          Penny,

  There are very many elderly people who shop, eat, go to the movies, meet their friends downtown and they cannot always walk several blocks, particularly made worse in the rain and snow. Although you don't have a problem, others do.

  Betsy Dickow