[Vision2020] Animal Rights and Pigs

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 19:34:12 PDT 2006

Ted,

 Thanks for your insightful comments. I think there is  another factor however, regarding why humans don't torture or agree  with unnecessary cruelty and harm to animals. That reason being that it  is lessens human compassion to other humans. The number one sign, in  most children and adults with behavioral and emotional issues is  mistreatment of animals. Boys that torture neighborhood pets like dogs,  and creatures like squirrels almost always have behavioral issues and  trouble relating to others when they  grow up.

 I  oppose animal torture, primarily, not for the right of the animal, but  to maintain the humanity of humans. The closer someone gets to  torturing an animal closer to them genetically, the closer they get to  doing harm to other humans.

 Plants, with RNA, and bacterium  are not at all like us, so that is a far cry from becoming insensitive  to animals and other humans. Go up the chain to flies, insects, you are  still a far cry from people. Next, it is actually harder to kill  amphibians, birds, and fish. They have eyes, bleed, and we can see  their philological reactions to outside stimulus, mainly fear and pain.  Then we move up to the next level of killing, which is larger mammals  that are closer to us, deer, cows, elk, bears, etc. There are very  clear anatomical and genetic similarities to these animals and us.  Next, there is killing animals we connect to on a much more closer  level, that would include, pigs, cats, dogs, chimps, apes, etc.
  Finally, there is the killing of other humans.

  I think  vegetarians are  people that  draw the line at  a different  place then meat-eaters. I  for one don't like  eating  pig, because I think 97% genetically identical to humans  is just too close for me. I also think the squealing of a pig sounds  eerily like the squealing of a human.  I also know that they  comprehend  and fear death and pain.  Other animals,  like  fish,  birds, and cattle don't comprehend death, and  are far enough different for me to be able to draw a distinction   between them and another human.

 I don't agree with the  "Theory of Mind" of vegetarians. I don't think fish,  birds,   and cows  think, "Oh sh*t! I am going die, someone please help  me!", Or "Please get me out of this pen, it is too small, I need some  fresh air out in the countryside."  I don't think they have that  level of comprehension or self actualization. I think vegetarians think  that they do. Most animals only feel pain and fear for the purposes of  survival, they don't think about it, or comprehend its intent, comfort  other beings that experience it, or attempt to deal with the situation.  They run, swim, fly, hop, jump, slither, purely out of instinct.

  Vegetarians, I think are simply drawing the line at a further distance  from them then meat-eaters. Some draw it at fish, some below that line.  Some do it for health reasons, and some do it for ecological reasons,  both those reasons I agree with. Where someone draws the line of what  is too close to a human being to kill I think is entirely up to the  individual, and their comfort level. If someone enjoys torturing  animals for enjoyment, they are psychologically unstable. But I think  their is a difference between killing animals for food, killing for  sport, and killing for the pleasure.

  Best,

  _DJA

Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:  All-

  Degrees  of "sentience," "emotional sophistication"  and/or "intelligence," are often factors that meat eaters  and "vegetarians" alike consider when killing another living  being for food.  Many meat eaters are aware of the well documented  and publicised intelligence and emotional sophistication of primates,  and thus would choose not to slaughter and eat monkey or gorilla for  food, and I don't mean because of concern for endangered  species/species extinction, which is based on a separate argument than  the argument based on avoiding cruelty and suffering.

  The  line between what sort of life will be "killed" or not for food, based  on the definition of these qualities and to what degree the life form  we are killing possesses these qualities, is a difficult line to draw  sharply.  I can't count the number of times I have debated  "vegetarianism" with someone who pointed out the hypocrisy of  vegetarians killing the plant organisms that vegetarians eat.  It  can be argued that plants have primitive "emotions" and a degree of  "sentience."  Imagine the "horror" those alfalfa spouts  "experience" as you crush them mercilessly while alive in your avocado  tomato sandwich!  This may sound like a joke, but if we are going  to show respect for all living beings...

  Also,  it is quite possible to kill and eat an animal and have no "cruelty"  involved, except that the animal you are eating had their life cut  short, and the death of the animal may impact other living animals,  animals who have profound emotional and behavioral reactions to the  death of other members of their species, a consideration that is not  trivial with some very social animals.

  The  venison served at the famed CIA (Culinary Institute of America) comes  from venison farms where the animals are shot  by marksman from a distance to avoid inducing any fear,  fight or flight reactions in the animal, reactions that induce  chemical changes the reduce the quality of the meat.  The animals  literally die without knowing what hit them, not necessarily for  kindness, but for culinary perfection.  An ethical hunter who aims  to kill a wild deer or elk, etc. instantly with one  clean shot before the animal has a chance to notice them, is also  killing an animal with minimal cruelty, probably less so than  many animals raised and kept for food.

  I  suspect there probably is some cruelty involved  in the raising and slaughtering of the animals for the meats  the Moscow CO-OP offers, though the CO-OP should be applauded for  addressing the animal cruelty issue, and to some extent mitigating the  suffering of food animals.  Animals raised for food are often not  living a high quality of life (crowed feet lots, cramped  conditions, etc.) based on the needs of their instinctive behavior  and social/mating patterns, even if they exit this plane of existence  not knowing what "hit" them.

  The  idea we can kill and eat animals for food, and avoid the slippery slope  of justifying cruelty to animals, is very problematic... Just as the  argument we now must suffer, do to the appalling darkness we appear to  be descending into in our culture, that justifying torture of other  human beings in some cases is acceptable, also involves a very  problematic slippery slope.

  Are  Vision2020 readers aware that a common pattern among sadists is to  start with cruelty to animals, behavior that some do not find too  objectionable, then move on to human beings?  An ethical slippery  slope lubricated by human beings disregard for cruelty to  animals!  Megan's comments I post below about the connection  between animal rights and human rights have a solid psychological basis  that is not trivial!

  Megan wrote:

  ...most animal cruelty is so hidden and ingrained
into our culture that people simply don't know or don't see what
really goes on. There are many issues that tie into animal rights as
  well, most notably human rights, the environment, wildlife and
habitat conservation, and world hunger.
  -----------
  And on the subject of "ingrained animal cruelty..."

  Pigs  are intelligent animals, as much or more so than dogs and cats.   If we don't serve dog or cat at the local meat counter, animal foods  accepted in other cultures, why do we slaughter and eat pig?  Is  it merely cultural prejudice to view dogs and cats as deserving of all  this respect, to not serve their kind on the dinner table, while  pigs, an equally or more intelligent animal, are slaughtered and  eaten often with little regard for their suffering?

  I  think this is sentimental and irrational hypocrisy (or ignorance  and/or blindness) on the part of meat eaters, based on human emotional  attachment to "pets," who will support slaughtering and  eating pig without a thought for the suffering of these  intelligent animals, while they will recoil in horror at the very idea  of serving dog or cat on a plate, and judge other cultures who kill and  eat dog or cat as being somehow "barbaric."

  "Barbaric?"  The way we treat pigs in the USA is barbaric!

  However,  these "pigs on the wing," referenced in the musical album  "Animals" by Pink Floyd, an album that has political and social  commentary even more applicable to our current situation than it did in  1977, when first released, are a different species, resembling  human beings in some respects:

  From the album:
    Pigs on the Wing (Part One) (Waters) 1:24

If you didn't care what happened to me,
And I didn't care for you,
We would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain.
Wondering which of the buggars to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing.
  -------
  Pigs (Three Different Ones) (Waters) 11:26

Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are.
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are.
And when your hand is on your heart,
You're nearly a good laugh,
  Almost a joker,
With your head down in the pig bin,
Saying "Keep on digging."
Pig stain on your fat chin.
What do you hope to find.
When you're down in the pig mine.
You're nearly a laugh,
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.

Bus stop rat bag, ha ha charade you are.
You fucked up old hag, ha ha charade you are.
You radiate cold shafts of broken glass.
You're nearly a good laugh,
Almost worth a quick grin.
You like the feel of steel,
You're hot stuff with a hatpin,
And good fun with a hand gun.
You're nearly a laugh,
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.

Hey you, Whitehouse,
Ha ha charade you are.
You house proud town mouse,
Ha ha charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street.
You're nearly a real treat,
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
.....! .....! .....! .....!
You gotta stem the evil tide,
And keep it all on the inside.
Mary you're nearly a treat,
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry.
  Pigs on the Wing (Part Two) (Waters) 1:27

You know that I care what happens to you,
And I know that you care for me.
So I don't feel alone,
Or the weight of the stone,
Now that I've found somewhere safe
To bury my bone.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home,
A shelter from pigs on the wing.
  ----------
  Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

  On 9/5/06, keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com  > wrote:   Megan,

Thank you for irenic and insightful comments.  I can see how my
characterization of PETA was too stark, and I apologize for unnecessarily
offending you.  I was trying to make a point of logic:  that if all animal
life is equally valuable, there is -- logically, at least -- no reason to
necessarily save the child over the dog.  In real life, of course, I would
like to think that anyone would try to save both in a fire, and if that
weren't possible, do what they could to save the child.  And I'm sure that
would happen, but the presumption of a choice for the child over the dog
isn't, to me, obvious at all when the would-be rescuer argues as vehemently
as PETA members often do for the equal value of all animal life.  In trying
to make a point of logic, I neglected what would likely happen in real life.
I'm glad for the opportunity to clarify the point I intended to make.

And, as someone who doesn't believe in spanking children, doesn't own a
firearm, is opposed to  capital punishment, values fetal and post-natal
life, and abhors my country's involvement in an immoral and unjust war, I
would be terribly inconsistent if I didn't see animal cruelty as a moral
wrong.  I do.  I think that, as Ghandi said, the greatness of a nation may
well be evidenced by its treatment of its animals (among other things), and
I am utterly enamored of my precious Duffy, and my three cats, Louie, Rugby,
and Finley Gunderson.  I don't relate well to people who aren't into pets,
and I've confronted people before when I've seen them treat their animals
harshly.  All life -- plants, mammals, reptiles, birds, humans -- reflect
the beauty of their Creator, and all bear His imprint.  He cares for them,
and so my caring for my own is a secondary argument, at best.

That said, I recognize that not all moral wrongs are equal in effect.  Just
as spanking a child is, I believe, morally wrong,  raping one is even more
so.  In the same way,  I believe that cruelty to human beings is worse than
cruelty to animals.  Since I eat meat, I am responsible for some of this
cruelty, although even more bothersome to me is the effect of meat-eating on
the environment.  If I were single and never offered meat by people for whom
a slab of steak is the best they can offer, a love gift of sorts -- like
when I visit my Mexican friends back in Washington -- I would be a
vegetarian.  But I cook for an Idaho-born guy and two ravenous teenage sons
who like their beef, their chicken, their fish and shrimp and sausage.  For
now, I eat meat as infrequently as I can, and I'm glad it's not an entirely
comfortable practice to me.  (Note to hearty, carniverous men of chest:
Notice the "to me" part.  My choice, my conscience; you all are free to chow
down on anything you want within New Testament guidelines for conscience and
offense).

Megan, you have contributed some really valuable stuff to Vision in a very
short time.  I hope to meet you sometime, and I do appreciate your comments.

keely