[Vision2020] Moscow's terrible sidewalks

Pennsylvania Place penn_place_boise at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 14:24:24 PDT 2006

Hey All:

  I've seen on the list and the DN many complaints about the lack of sidewalks on Mountain View. How about the older parts of town? Who do we complain to?

  I walk all over town, sometimes pushing a stroller. I have noticed many high traffic streets near the downtown core with NO sidewalks on EITHER side. How can we do something about this? Shouldn't it be in the street budget?

  Example 1: On West A Street, which is dang-near an arterial these days, there is NO sidewalk on EITHER side of the street between Jackson and Almon. On the north side you have the gravel lot belonging to St. John Hardware, on the South side you have a gravel lot belonging to that Heating & Air place in the former electric railroad depot.

  Anyone trying to walk down A street pushing a stroller (or god forbid a wheelchair!) would find it impossible.

  Example 2: Where Lilly crosses 3rd street, there is a crosswalk on the west side of the intersection - which doesn't lead to a sidewalk! It leads right into Ambassador Auto's parking lot! Now, Ambassador Auto has been kind and pulled back their autos so there is now space to walk, but back in July and August you could not walk down Lilly without walking out in the middle of the street.

  Pedestrian Friendly Town, my ass!

  Penny P.