[Vision2020] cellulosic alcohol (butanol)

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:20:31 PDT 2006

Donovan, Jim et. al.

Cellulosic biofuel, as Jim points out (I was amazed to hear former Federal
Reserve head Alan Greenspan on C-Span lecturing members of the US Congress
on cellulosic biofuels!), can be produced from forest industry waste (timber
slash), or from fast growing trees (like Chris's example from Alaska), or
from straw, the primary biomass for a proposed cellulosic biofuel plant
Iogen is going to build in Southern Idaho.  Several advantages of cellulosic
biofuels is that they do not require using food crops, nor petroleum sourced
fertilizers, as Jim mentioned.  The biomass can be grown on land not
suitable for food crops.

I was unaware that, according to Jim, there is a kind of biofuel that can
run in existing gasoline engines with no modifications.  Of course many of
us already use a small percentage of  biofuel (ethanol) mixed with the gas
we use.

Most of the biofuel produced in the USA at this point in time is corn based
ethanol, not the most efficient biomass for biofuels, produced using a lot
of upstream fossil fuel, with government subsides, so this model is not
going to solve the fossil fuel depletion/global warming problem, given the
experts testimony that I have read on this subject.

Brazil already has a large percentage of their vehicles running on biofuel
from sugar cane, so this is perhaps a good laboratory to study the realistic
applications of biofuels in the long term.

Donovan is correct, I think, to point out the ecological and
food production impacts of massive biofuel production.  The fuel would have
to be sourced from sustainable biomass sources, that avoid turning food land
over to biofuel land, and not destroy important ecosystems.  These are some
of the conditions that make biofuels problematic as a dominant solution,
along with the efficiency problems of biofuel production.

But in an area such as the Palouse, with our limited (for now) population,
and the forest and agricultural biomass potential in our area (straw, not
food crops, for example), a biofuels plant might supply significant amounts
of economcally and ecologically self sustaining CO2 neutral fuel.  Maybe not
enough for all vehicles in Moscow and Pullman, but enough to make a
difference.

If Iogen ever gets that cellulosic plant going in Southern Idaho, this will
reveal more about cellulosic biofuel as a realistic alternative.

Donovan, the catch in your response on raising taxes on gasoline is "at a
future date."  If we wait till fossil fuel depletion and market forces push
gas prices up up and away, we won't need to raise the gas tax to promote
alternative fuels or energy sources. The question is, what can be done now
to address these problems?  Any politician advocating 5-10 dollar a gallon
gas, due to a massive gas tax, would face massive opposition.  I'm not
saying raising gas taxes is not a good idea as a solution to encouraging
alternative fuels and energy sources, but that given political realities,
what are the chances to pass such a tax?

Even significantly raising the CAFE MPG standards, which should have been
done a decade or more ago, has faced massive opposition.

Ted Moffett