[Vision2020] Active Troops Going Public to Oppose War

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 22:53:20 PST 2006

I'm sure that day-to-day, there are thousands of good things happening
in Iraq.  Saying anymore than that is difficult when I have no yardstick
to use.  Are we 75% of the way to our goal?  I have no idea what our
goal is.  Is the juice worth the squeeze?  I have no idea what the juice
is supposed to be.  Are we supposed to be setting up a democratic
government?  Are we supposed to be chasing down potential terror plots
against the US?  Are we still looking for weapons of mass destruction?
Are we supposed to be policing the Iraqis?  Are we supposed to be
rebuilding?  Should we be trying to keep the three main groups from
destroying each other?

I was in the military, for a few years anyway, and I know what kind of
people they are.  Almost everyone I met was a dedicated defender of
honor who truly believed in what they were doing (as did I).  So I'm not
surprised in the slightest to hear that decent people are finding ways
to do decent things in Iraq.  I think if we had focused goals we could
get behind, we'd be doing a lot more good.

Anyway, why do I have to have a direct family member involved in the war
to be able to have an opinion on the subject?  If I see something that I
think disgraces our military, like what happened at Abu Ghraib, do I
have to just let it slide because I never met anyone involved?  If I
hear our government arguing forcibly for torture to be used as a means
of gaining information, should I be silent because I've never been to
Iraq and "don't know what it's like?"  When I hear about the numbers of
our soldiers being killed should I not be asking about our goals and
whether or not it's worth the cost?

I would like to hear about some of the good things that are happening at
the individual soldier's level.  Maybe I could then get a grasp on what
it is we're trying to do over there.

Paul