[Vision2020] Voting Against Vets

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Oct 29 08:42:40 PST 2006

>From today's (October 29, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to
Bryan Burke of Pullman -

Voting against vets

... [Cathy] McMorris voted against 75 percent of the key votes that are
tracked by the Disabled American Veterans:

www.dav.org/voters/key_votes.html

You might think McMorris supports vets because she supports military
spending. However, her support is by far the strongest when spending is for
expensive weapons.

McMorris and other Republicans supported modest increases in 2006 VA funding
(HR 2528), but less than veterans needed (see DAV). When given a chance to
support Democratic amendments to increase funding, McMorris voted against
them. The Spokane VA has been rationing medical care, in part, because of
this.

While leafleting at events this election year, I have talked to thousands of
voters about McMorris' votes against vets. Most Republicans have not
listened. However, some have, and then they told me much to my surprise
either "she is doing a fine job" or "I don't care." Only one of them, a
volunteer at the Whitman County Republican office, was informed and moral
enough to admit McMorris "made a mistake."

Is it OK to vote against disabled veterans? Who do you support: veterans or
McMorris? Because you cannot support both.

Bryan E. Burke
Pullman

There are political candidates that truly support our veterans, those that
actively support veterans (not only through words, but with deeds)
regardless of what year it is.

Cathy McMorris is NOT one of them.  She "supports" veterans as a matter of
convenience every election year.

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.