[Vision2020] Top/Bottom Posting & Subject Heading Matching Post Content

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 08:19:16 PDT 2006

      Daisuke Matsuzaka: Could be too Pricey For Mariners            RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Thursday, October 26, 2006   Update: The Mariners may no longer be inclined to pursue Matsuzaka this winter, as the Japanese ace may be just too expensive for the M's to chase given their other needs, the Everett (WA) Herald reports.   Recommendation: According to the report, it may take a winning bid of $20 million or more just to gain the exclusive right to negotiate with Matsuzaka via the posting process in November. And, with Scott Boras now confirmed as Matsuzaka's agent, Boras likely will seek a deal worth millions over multiple years. Given the fact the M's need to find three starting pitchers and an outfielder this winter, committing so much to Matsuzaka may not make sense unless the M's ownership insists the team goes after Matsuzaka. Even if the Mariners don't enter the bidding, the Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Rangers and one or two other teams are expected to pursue the World Baseball Classic MVP this winter.

Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:      Chas wrote:

  This example is frequently used to argue the bottom-posting preference:

A: No.
  Your example looks ridiculous, by design, but does not describe what is really occurring in a ongoing thread.  As Paul indicated, the question has already been asked, so the top posting is a direct answer in a ongoing conversation...

  As far as scrolling down a long post that is bottom posted for a one line reply, I don't find this a problem, however, within reasonable limits, and I really don't care if a post is top or bottom posted.  It is a problem, though, when one post contains numerous other posts in a thread/conversation, posts that have already been read.  They should be "chopped," as Chas described it.

  A much more serious problem with list serve conduct, in my opinion, is when subject headings do not match content.  Often a thread is started and the subject heading is kept constant when the content under discussion wanders off... This definitely wastes time when opening posts based on interest in a given subject/thread only to find content of a very different nature...

  Ted Moffett

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com