[Vision2020] Top/Bottom Posting & Subject Heading Matching Post Content

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 09:29:09 PDT 2006

 Chas wrote:

> This example is frequently used to argue the bottom-posting preference:
>
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

Your example looks ridiculous, by design, but does not describe what is
really occurring in a ongoing thread.  As Paul indicated, the question has
already been asked, so the top posting is a direct answer in a ongoing
conversation...

As far as scrolling down a long post that is bottom posted for a one line
reply, I don't find this a problem, however, within reasonable limits, and I
really don't care if a post is top or bottom posted.  It is a
problem, though, when one post contains numerous other posts in a
thread/conversation, posts that have already been read.  They should be
"chopped," as Chas described it.

A much more serious problem with list serve conduct, in my opinion, is when
subject headings do not match content.  Often a thread is started and the
subject heading is kept constant when the content under discussion wanders
off... This definitely wastes time when opening posts based on interest in a
given subject/thread only to find content of a very different nature...

Ted Moffett