[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for October 27, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 27 05:52:47 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for October 27, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Oct. 27, 2006

Dear Friends,

Thousands of Vandals were glad they returned to Moscow last weekend for our
football game and associated events-such as several of our colleges'
advisory board meetings. We are very proud of Coach Erickson for a brilliant
game plan and of our team who played spirited football against our rivals
from the south.

You also should know of the volunteer efforts of our students surrounding
the game. They collected $1,300 for the War on Hunger, and along with Boise
State students collected 6,000 pounds of food for local food banks. Others,
particularly from the Farm House fraternity, joined with our Facilities
personnel and did a wonderful job in cleaning up after a very full house.

This week, the University of Idaho was named to the President's Higher
Education Community Service Honor Roll. We were one of only a handful of
land-grant institutions to receive recognition for responding to President
Bush's call to build on and support civic engagement.

Idaho students made an impression with their Alternative Spring Break
activity, where 63 students traveled to Waveland, Miss., to assist in
clean-up activities following the 2005 Gulf Coast hurricanes. Participants
said it was one of, if not the most, important experiences they've had in
their college life. Idaho students plan to return to the Gulf region this
spring break to assist once more in the continuing clean-up effort.

Through the University's Center for Volunteerism and Social Action, students
are finding new ways to engage in volunteering their time as a learning
experience.

Their efforts have a significant impact locally, and throughout the state
and nation.

How big of an impact? Well, in addition to making the presidential honor
roll, the state of Idaho is ranked second nationally for college student
volunteerism, according to the Corporation for National and Community
Service. Our students are teaching us all a lesson in volunteer service and
civic engagement, and it makes us all very proud.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Survivors of the Oct. 19, 1956, Gault Hall fire gathered on campus for a
50-year remembrance of the tragedy that killed three students. The fire was
called the University's "saddest hour" by Donald Theophilus, who was
University president at the time. Eight former Gault Hall residents traveled
from New Jersey, Boise, Seattle and Spokane to pay tribute to those who lost
their lives in the fire, recognize the heroism of Gault residents who risked
their lives to save others and celebrate the spirit of Gault residents who
rebuilt their community after the fire.

Wildlife Professor J. Michael Scott's innovative contributions to conserving
birds have earned him the American Ornithologists' Union Conservation Award.
The award honors those who have made extraordinary scientific contributions
to the conservation, restoration or preservation of birds and their
habitats. Scott was one of the first endangered species biologists hired by
the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and from 1974-1984, he worked in Hawaii
studying endangered Hawaiian songbirds, which prompted the establishment of
six protected areas on three islands. Scott also led the conservation and
research efforts to preserve the California condor.

L. Dean Welch '50 of Brookfield, Wis., received the Alumni Association
Silver and Gold Award for a distinguished record of achievement and service.
Welch was honored yesterday during a meeting of the College of Business and
Economics advisory board, of which he is a member. His career was in the
steel and aerospace industries, and he served as president and CEO of
Wisconsin-based Ladish Co., which supplies highly-engineered metal products
to aerospace and industrial manufacturers. In 1995, Dean and his wife, Gay,
established the L. Dean and Gay Welch University of Idaho Scholarship
Endowment for deserving students pursuing a degree from the College of
Business and Economics.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Aloha, Vandals.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho
UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3