[Vision2020] [Spam] Should Former Deans Retain Their HighSalaries?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 07:52:56 PDT 2006

Dan,

Retirement is different than changing jobs. If someone is  paying into a retirement program, they paid for it, they earned it. If  a Dean stops doing their work, they should not get the same  compensation for a lesser position, they should get the compensation  for that new position.  If we followed this pay structure that  Nick is suggesting, nobody would be a Dean for any longer than the time  required to get the permanent higher pay. In fact, all the professors  could simply rotate the position of Dean, like chair of a department,  to all obtain higher permanent salaries.

  Best,

  _DJA

Dan Carscallen <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:  Donovan says:
". . . are you saying that the taxpayer should continue compensating
former university presidents that underperformed and sank their school
into bankruptcy or financial hardship just  because some private
companies do that?"

Obviously nobody read Nick's manifesto.  The question I gathered from it
was "should a professor continue to get paid what he made as a Dean if
he steps down from that position?"  I think it was somewhat rhetorical.

But now I have another question, for Donovan:

Are you saying that a former university president should not be entitled
to the retirement program that he contributed to?

Your pal,

DC

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com