[Vision2020] Gandhi and the Warriors

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 23 11:17:25 PDT 2006

Greetings:

Someone requested that I rewrite a famous story about Gandhi that could be used as a children's story.  I thought I would share what I came up with below.

Let me anticipate a response from those who would say that these techniques would not work against a Hitler or a Saddam Hussein.  I agree.  That is why I'm not a pacificist, and that's why I don't think we should interpret Gandhi as a pacificist.

In dozens of instances in the 20th Century these techniques have indeed worked.  Martin Luther King and his associates succeeded even against murdering racists.  They may not have succeeded though without the help of the federal government.

Yours for nonviolent solutions,

Nick Gier

GANDHI AND THE WARRIORS

One day Gandhi, a famous Indian spiritual and political leader, was talking with his disciples in New Delhi, the capital city of India.  He had been very successful in his campaign to achieve India's independence from Britain by nonviolent means.

Gandhi was confident that he could convince a fierce tribe in the Northwest to follow his successful policies.  He asked one of his disciples to buy him a train ticket to that part of the country.  Gandhi reminded him that he always traveled third class so that he could be with the poorest people of India.

His disciples did not like this idea.  They warned Gandhi that these warriors would attack him and probably kill him.  But Gandhi was insistent, claiming that he welcomed this challenge to convince even the most violent people that anger and retaliation only make problems worse.

Gandhi spent many hours on a hard wooden seat as the crowded train made its way slowly to the Northwestern Frontier.  At one of the stations he got off and asked to see the local warlord.  The warlord and his men strode up and looked very intimidating with their rifles and ammo belts.

Gandhi went up to them and greeted them.  He was dressed only in a loin cloth, a piece of fabric tied around the waist and upper thighs. The only other items on his person were wire rimmed glasses and a walking stick. During the winter he sometimes wore a wool shawl for warmth.

Gandhi presented the warlord and his men with this challenge: "Who among us is the most fearless: I standing before you unarmed, or you standing there with your guns and fierce faces?"  After a pregnant moment's pause, the warlord said: "You Gandhi are the most fearless among us."

Gandhi taught those warriors and everyone around the world that the bravest people are those who fight aggressors by actively engaging them with love, by refusing to retaliate, and by treating your enemies as you would treat yourself.