[Vision2020] Off List Discussion: October Surprise & Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:06:17 PDT 2006

All-

A Vision2020 subscriber who wished to be anonymous in this case has given
permission to post a recent "Off List" discussion:

>From Ted:

I really don't think an attack on Iran will be used as an October surprise.
There are too many downsides to this tactic, disruption of oil supplies
among them.  But still, if it is true that an aircraft carrier group is
headed to waters off Iran, what is up?  Of course this might just be a
rehearsal for potential war with Iran.  After all, the US military is
positioned in numerous places on the planet just to be ready for potential
war...

However, if it looks like the Republicans will lose big in November, the US
could provoke an Iranian military response and use this as an excuse for
limited attacks, maybe against Iranian nuclear facilities.  If this
happened close to the election, the oil disruptions might not influence the
election
because the effects would be felt after.

>From anonymous Vision2020 subscriber:

I don't know if it's my being partisan or not, but I think there's no gutter
this White House won't leap into, and no policy, no matter how destructive,
that they won't adopt if it suits their ends.  So I can't think they won't
attack Iran.  I hope they won't, but I can't put it past them.  Even if
their reasons are later debunked, the 'rally 'round the flag' effect may
work for them before the election.

Regarding your recent comments about Chomsky and Hermann's 'Manufacturing
Consent,' I think you're correct about news coverage and lack of critical
analysis on the part of the media, and I think if there's an Iran attack,
that's what we'll witness in coverage of such an event, at least in the
short run.

You're correct that there was all sort of information available about the
WH's pre-war claims about Iraq's WMD capabilities, and these were
marginalized (at least I think that's what you were saying.)

I find claims by Republicans that the Dems are politicizing the Foley
scandal
amusing when I look at the WH.  Do the Rs claim they were not engaging in
politics when they held the Iraq War vote in October or November, right
before
an election?  Of course they were!  They knew the Dems would fold, with a
few
exceptions, and it was pure politics.

>From Ted:

 Why not post your comments on "Manufacturing Consent" to the list?

Vision2020 is about discussion of critical issues in public.  Many of the
"Off List" discussions are a waste of time from this viewpoint.

It is discouraging to witness the lack of response on Vision2020 regarding
how political opinion is manipulated in the USA revealed in "Manufacturing
Consent."

Vision2020 is often "Visionless2020."

Noam Chomsky is one of the most brilliant political thinkers of our time.
To not see a varied and prolific response to the mention of his ideas on
Vision2020, regarding how media filters have controlled, and are now
controlling, how we will vote, is, frankly, shocking!

I was just watching CNN, FOX and MSNBC news networks, and what were the
stories discussed at the same time on all networks?  Madonna's adoption, and
John Mark Karr, who was involved in the Jon Benet murder investigation.

I was appalled at the yellow journalism focus, ignoring substantive critical
issues.

Your comments on "Manufacturing Consent" could be a boost to discussion
regarding how our democracy should insist on the obligation of the "fourth
estate," journalism, to educate the public about facts and issues that are
critical, rather than feeding them crap about yellow journalism
infotainment.

Feel free to forward this rant to the list, if you want.  I may send it
myself, deleting references to your name to respect the fact that you may
have chosen not to send your comments on "Manufacturing Consent" to the list
for your own personal reasons.