[Vision2020] Soldiers Doing Right By One Of Their Own

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:44:07 PDT 2006

kirkers, take note: THIS is how "doing right by your own" is supposed to be
done -  a great many of the people involved didn't even know this woman and
yet:

By BARBARA PINTO

IOWA FALLS, Iowa, Oct. 16, 2006 — The stark numbers of losses of U.S. troops
in Iraq can often obscure the individual stories of those who die in combat,
such as 29-year-old Navy medic Jaime Jenke, a single mom who was killed in
June.

The Iowa resident was the victim of a roadside bomb in Iraq, leaving behind
her parents, three brothers and her 9-year-old daughter Kayla, who is being
cared for by her grandparents.

"I'm a mother without a daughter and I [now] have a daughter without a
mother … there's no in-betweens," said Jaenke's mother, Susan.

The family's home is filled with memories of Jaime, including medals and
photographs, but just up the hill sits her true passion — the horse stable
she began to build with her own hands in the months before she left for
Iraq.

"She was so exited and she said to me, 'Mom, I can't wait to come back
because this is what I wanted,'" Susan Jaenke said.

"I'm not letting this place go," said Jaime's brother Justin Jaenke.
"Neither is my mom and my Dad, they're not going to let it go."

Soldeiers Join Homefront Mission

The Jaenkes didn't have the money or the workforce to finish what Jaime
began, so on a recent fall morning the men and women who served with this
fallen soldier joined dozens of volunteers to help complete the stables and
her dream.

"It just keeps the memory alive," said Peter Muschinske, the chaplain for
Jaime's unit. He returned from Iraq last week and went to Iowa to pitch in
before even seeing his own family.

He said his involvement should help her family see Jaime's fellow soldiers
are not "distant people."

"We knew Jamie, we love her and we continue to love her and hold her
memory," Muschinske said.

So they grabbed saws and hammers and worked through their own grief during
the project.

"It's hard to put into words. It really helps your heart," said Chief Petty
Officer Allen Pettitt of the U.S. Navy.

For the Jaenkes, the gift is beyond measure.

J  :]