[Vision2020] [Vision2020) DEATH TO VERMIN!

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 15 14:23:38 PDT 2006

So, just exactly what is your methodology for tabulating the murders that
did not occur because the "perp" was deterred by the thought of being put to
death for his or her crime? Its a given that there will be sociopaths who
will disregard all but their own urges and kill and for them the death
penalty will have no meaning but how can you measure that which didn't
happen? The idea that a person who was angry or disgruntled and never had a
second thought or change of heart because the idea of sitting on death row
was off putting is indemonstrable and unlikely. How do you conduct a
reliable poll in which you ask people "How many people would you have killed
were it not for the likelihood you would be put to death?" Once you come up
with an answer to that I'll lend some credence to your "Wasn't a deterrent
then, isn't now." observation.

gc