[Vision2020] Moscow-Pullman Highway going commercial

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Sat Oct 14 22:07:51 PDT 2006

Bill, Thanks for your thoughtful response.  Today, I was at  a brunch in
Pullman, mostly Whitman County business leaders, commissioners, etc., who
agreed that we (The Greater Palouse) ought to combine our efforts and
become much more integrated.  There was consensus that the present Moscow
governance is a challenge to deal with and  Latah County officials are not.

UI/WSU Presidents and respective EDC's have a forum concerning the
"Knowledge Corridor Concept"  on Oct. 23 at Schweitzer's Event Center.  If
you want to attend, simply contact the LEDC before Oct. 20. and maybe we
could go together.  I also agree that growing local business is most
desirable.  In my experience with Lake Aircraft and recruiting DampSoft to
the area, we need to be coached to another level. Incidentally, both my
sons took classes at UI and  WSU although they did not graduate from
either. Their experiences were very favorable.

Unfortunately, Moscow has a distinct reputation of being anti
business/gridlocked both in action and in deed.  A few years ago, I had
UltraDent contact Idaho's Department of Commerce about locating a dental
research facility in Idaho. UltraDent has about 700 employees world wide
and  250,000 square feet of production space. Parameters were: Close to a
University, dependable Airline connections, and cost of living/quality of
life considerations.  Boise, CDA were the recommended sites, not
Moscow.  UltraDent works with a number of Universities here and abroad and
with the Medical School in Salt Lake. Thus with this perception, I believe,
we, together, can change, retain Quality of Life, and help UI with 21th
Century realities.

GMA is not in the business of finger pointing. Our first public forum,
Developing Trouble, would be an example of the
GMA's committment to balance, public information, and civility.  Anyone can
become a member and can become involved. GMA's membership is approaching 300.

The question: where do you think we should go from here?  Jerry