[Vision2020] Are Moscow schools shrinking?

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Thu Oct 12 19:18:33 PDT 2006

Andreas,

You may not pay much attention to Dale's Web site but he tends to have
some really accurate information and he keeps track of what folks have
said in the past.

I do have one question: what does keely mix being wrong about
everything she's written with regards to moscow education have to do
with Dabney?

For those who have not read the website (and for Tom who cannot access
it):

MSD Enrollment Down Again

According to MSD Superintendent Candis Donicht, MSD enrollment is down
again — this year about 30 students.

I’ll be asking for a public records request of MSD to get the exact
numbers for you. But this downward trend has got to be driving the
educrats crazy.

I would like to remind you of a quote from keely emerine mix back on 1
June 2005:
"For all it's worth, MSD's enrollment has stabilized and is, in fact,
increasing. The addition of new single-family houses on the east and
north sides of town almost assuredly will lead to an increase in
student enrollment."

At that time, I gave nine reasons why mix was wrong in her prediction.
And, as time has shown, her optimism about MSD growth continues to be
wrong-wrong. And she remains silent on the issue.

For my readers, here are the nine reasons I gave back on 1 June 2005 as
to why she was wrong then (and is still wrong now). The numbers are a
bit dated (by 16 months), but the rationale is still valid.
-------

*   The U.S. Census Bureau projects 52% Increase in Idaho's Population
by 2030 -- but 1/3 of that will be retirees.
*   Moscow has been advertised in newspapers and magazines in Orange
County as being a great place for California refugees.
*   The U.S. Census Bureau projects the number of young people in Idaho
under age 18 will decrease as a percentage of the population. Census
Bureau analysts anticipate young people will fall from 28.5 percent of
Idaho's population in 2000 to under 25 percent in 2030.
*   Moscow is well known for being an expensive city to live in. That
means that young families cannot afford to live here -- at least not
within the MSD boundary.
*   The major employers in town are down-sizing. In fact, if the
Wal-Mart goes into Pullman and the Wal-Mart leaves Moscow, there goes
one of our top three employers.
*   Census Bureau records show that Moscow actually grew 20% in the
last 10 years. At the same time, MSD enrollment went down 13.5% -- why
does mix think that all of a sudden a turn-around is going to happen?
Because of the new single-family houses being built?
*   Per the 2000 Census report, school-aged children in Moscow are
increasing at a rate of 30-35 per year. Where are those 100 students
per year going? (increase of 30/year overall per the census + loss of
70/year at MSD)
*   The houses that are being built are not affordable for a young
family with kids. Take a look over at a MLS website for the price of
houses. You'll see what I mean.
*   With the threat of another bond still hanging over us, and all the
other impending economic issues, it's not wise for young families to
move to Moscow:
    $4,750,000 in cut-backs at UI
    A potential $3,200,000 bond levy for the 1912 Building.
    Imminent 67% increase in water rates.

Put all these things together, and you see that no young family can
afford to live here. That diminishes the number of families with kids
who can move here. Furthermore, with the no-growth mentality and
“tax-till-they-bleed“ mentality, that further exacerbates the problem.
Finally, the Idaho growth is predicted to be mostly retirees -- and
Moscow is particularly favorable to retirees.

Bottom line: there's no way MSD can see the growth that mix is
predicting.

Thanks for listening
Doug