[Vision2020] Moscow-Pullman Highway going commercial

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Oct 12 10:24:40 PDT 2006

Or it could be that the Toyota dealership owners want to be closer to
Pullman, not further from Pullman.

Which is why the frittering away of A street for student apartments that
have no safe way of crossing the Pullman Road was bad planning by the prior
council of the highest order.  What we need to do is get the land behind the
Palouse mall zoned motor business and keep our commercial property inside
Moscow and close to the border where city services are available.  And then
stick to a plan and not conduct our growth by one ad hoc re-zoning to
whatever gets asked a piece at a time.

It is obvious that Whitman County is desperately working to obtain
commercial property, and that is not going to change.  Competition has
arrived.  The monopoly that Pullman and Moscow enjoyed on commercial
development appears to be ending.  Assuming water issues (availability) can
be resolved, the corridor will develop unless the Whitman County
Commissioners have a change of heart.

Moscow needs to open more motor business property in the general
neighborhood of where it was supposed to be -- adjacent to our existing
commmercial strip between the downtown and the state line.  Much of A Street
is gone, but there is a lot more open land behind the mall, Wal-Mart, etc.
to the border.  That seems like the logical place for motor business to me.

Bruce Livingston