[Vision2020] Manufacturing Consent & Media

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Wed Oct 11 12:28:31 PDT 2006

Ted, apology accepted, and indeed, not necessary.

I agree that the debate and media coverage was slanted, in that it focused on the definition of torture and potential impacts on Geneva Convention protections without much mention of the prohibition of habeas corpus rights to non-combatants.  I have not read Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent."  And when I declined to speculate on why the debate/legislation was so focused, or the legislation was so written, it appears that I misunderstood your question to me.  But I still can't suggest that there is a conspiracy to omit the habeas corpus part of the story on the part of the media, when I don't really know that, and deep down I am guessing that they just think that arguments about torture are more sexy and sell more papers.

Bruce