[Vision2020] Is Moscow Ready for Reservoir?

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Oct 10 23:02:33 PDT 2006

Jeff:

I may not be a hydrologist, or any other kind of
"ologist" for that matter, but I have been
studying and working on this issue for close to
20 years. The graph below shows the historic
static well levels for two Wanapum wells in the
city. As you and any one else who looks at it can
see, water levels fell precipitously in the 50's
resulting in Moscow drilling its first deep well
in the early 60's and then switching over to it
for supplying the city. In 1990, the city started
pumping the Wanapum again when demand started to
exceed deep well supply. The Wanapum wells nw
supply 30% of the city's demand. The graph was
prepared by Dr. Dale Ralston and does not include
the past three years of well level data. In 2005,
static levels in city Wanapum wells fell 5-7'
continuing the scarily close match of the current
graph curve to the period of the mid 40's
(interpolated as the city data for those years is
not included in Ralston's graph). It is this
data, available to anyone to review, that is the
basis for my statement that we may be facing the
loss of 30% of our current water supply
(approximately 280 million gallons per year at
current demand) within the next 15-25 years.

As to your repeated assertions that 200 billion
gallons fall on Latah County each year so where's
the problem, I have responded in the past that
the vast majority of the precip is cycled back to
the atmosphere by plants (evapotranspiration).
You've ridiculed that fact in the past. If you
had attended the Water summit last week, you
would have heard a presentation on the Palouse
basin water balance by Dr. Fritz Fiedler, UI
Civil Eng. Prof, that at a minimum, about 70% of
precip in the Moscow sub-basin is cycled as
evapotranspiration, and possibly more. Another
goodly percentage (sorry, I don't have my notes
in front of me) leaves the area in the streams
which except during peak runoff events are needed
in the streams to support aquatic life (and to
provide dilution for area wastewater treatment
plant discharges).

Mark