[Vision2020] Army Communities and the Bottom Line

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 10 15:33:16 PDT 2006

Greetings Visionaires -

We, as a small community in Idaho, have discussed the Iraqi war from a wide
variety of differing angles.  We know fairly well how each of us feels
concerning the assorted aspects; political and military.

One question has been lingering in my mind, "How do the individual Army
communities (cities and towns right outside the front gate of Army
installations) feel?"

I surfed around the webs of various Army communities:

Killeen, Texas and Copperas Cove, Texas outside of Fort Hood

Columbus, Georgia outside of Fort Benning

Junction City, Kansas outside of Fort Riley

Lawton, Oklahoma outside of Fort Sill

Fayetteville, North Carolina outside of Fort Bragg

Clarksville, Tennessee, outside of Fort Campbell, Kentucky

Browsing the websites and agendas of these various cities/towns and their
respective city councils revealed not much more than I was expecting.  The
local newspapers reflected a hint of animosity toward the Bush
administration, but a general conservatism when it came to each city
council.

That was until I stopped by Fairbanks, Alaska (outside of Fort Wainwright,
home of the 172nd Stryker Brigade).  I could explain what I read and how I
feel about what this brave and maverick-style council is proposing, but I
will let you read for yourselves at:

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Fairbanks

I personally feel that each of us that agree with the Fairbanks North Star
Assembly email them and express our support.

Members of the Fairbanks North Star Assembly may be contacted by email at:
http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/Assembly/Members.htm

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.