[Vision2020] Is Moscow Ready for Reservoir?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Oct 10 07:54:24 PDT 2006

Mark Solomon and Diane French (& spouse Bill) have done an enormous community service by keeping us focused on the quantity and quality our water resources.  They have provided much knowledge and many activities to aid research, awareness, and education.

It should be clear to anyone who reads or watches news that there is a water crisis world-wide.  It is not to early to plan to accurately assess ours, to decide how much use is appropriate, to plan how to best enhance and preserve what we have, and to think of ways to protect it from others who will want it when their water resources dwindle.

In case you haven't noticed, the latest data indicate the at least one of the local aquifers is climate/precipitation dependent and is declining.  Because of recent global climate changes which produce el Nino like conditions (a new el Nino is now forming), the average amount of precipitation falling on the Palouse over the last few years is lower.  Connect the dots.  In case you need another dot, Google "permafrost thawing" to discover another factor which may further effect the amount of water falling on the Palouse.

Water quality is important too.  Some of the wells in the Genesee area are still too contaminated to be safely used due to farm chemicals and dry cleaning wastes.  About 2/3 of the wells in the farming areas of the mid-west are now unsafe to use for potable water due to farm chemical contamination.  At present, there is no economically feasible way to make water from these wells safely potable.

I am grateful to those who have taken the time and effort to help solve these problems.  I don't know if a reservoir for Moscow is a feasible alternative or not.  But as a professional problem solver, I know that all solutions must be carefully considered.  Thanks again to those that keep this issue in front of us, not only for their ideas but for the huge amount of time and effort they devote for our and our children's future.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843