[Vision2020] Scandals

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Oct 8 09:02:36 PDT 2006

Perhaps one aspect of this issue is not being dwelt upon enough:  TIMELY
REPORTING to appropriate law enforcement officials.

Whoever, regardless of political, social, or religious affiliation, knew of
Foley's or ANYONE else's inappropriate or criminal behavior of a child
sexual abuse nature should have reported it to law enforcement IMMEDIATELY
upon receiving the information or coming to a reasonable suspicion.

I cannot say about DC, but most states have laws requiring practically
instant reporting of suspected child abuse.  That these laws are routinely
ignored and not enforced is one of the looming factors that help to enable
and to perpetuate these crimes against innocent and naive victims.  When
child sexual abuse is suspected, law enforcement should be the first to be
informed (and IMMEDIATELY), not one's friends, lawyer, priest, bishop, or
pastor.

Notifying law enforcement immediately and not others also can assist to
bring about a timely arrest and to avoid having the offender escape to
another jurisdiction, free to molest other children.

It is a shame that this issue has become a political weapon in the way that
it has.  This particular instance with its national and global coverage
could have been made a "teachable moment;"  a time to look at and discuss
the realities of these crimes and how to deal with them more effectively.  I
have not seen hardly any major coverage of this aspect of the issue -- the
actual crimes and the many worldwide victims are only faceless, background,
insignificant extras in the media coverage.

A corollary of this message is that citizens should insist that all elements
of the criminal justice system take these crimes much more seriously and act
much conscientiously and effectively.  Those in the system that don't should
be replaced by those that will.

Shame on both parties and especially shame on the media - an important
opportunity lost to make some positive change in the world.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843