[Vision2020] A Heck of a Mistake

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Oct 8 08:35:18 PDT 2006

>From Bob Schieffer's commentary from today's (October 8, 2006) "Face the
Nation" -

A Heck of a Mistake
By Bob Schieffer

If there is one thing you would think the White House would not want to call
attention to especially in an election year, it would be the government's
bumbling response to Hurricane Katrina and the man who led that effort - Old
Brownie, as we have come to know him.

Which is why I had to read it twice before I really believed the story I
found in yesterday's paper.

It said the White House served notice that the president would not abide by
new Congressional rules which require the next head of FEMA - that's
Brownie's old job - to have five years' experience in disaster management.

Why would the president have a problem with that? The White House says it
would encroach on his constitutional power to appoint anyone he chooses for
top government jobs.

In other words, if the president wants to appoint someone as incompetent as
Old Brownie, he will fight for his right to do that.

Now let's make sure you understand we are talking about Brownie, of
"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" fame.

Brownie, you may recall, had a lot of experience as a horse show judge and
no experience managing emergencies which is why Congress decided to write a
new job description for the next emergency manager.

The president has every right to protect his powers. But with all the
attention that it refocuses on Katrina mistakes, you have to believe that a
lot of Republican candidates in close races would have preferred the
President leave this constitutional battle for another day - the day after
the election.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Sins can be committed in ignorance, and the fact that they were committed
in ignorance doesn't cause the sin to just disappear . . . "

- Princess Sushitushi (September 10, 2006)