[Vision2020] All-Candidate's Forum October 17

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 12:46:24 PDT 2006

"no questions will be taken from the audience" What the hell?

  How dumb! As a political scientist, I can tell you this is the worst  thing ever for an election. I think this is a hostile act against  freedom of speech and freedom of the people to interact with candidates  running for elected offices. Giving candidates canned questions is a  horrible way to introduce them to the public.

 Part of  determining a good candidate is their ability to hear, listen, and  respond to another human being asking a question with emotions and  feelings, and concern in their voice, and making sure they are given an  answer to the question they intended to ask. It tells me their ability  to relate to others.

 If you are not going to be able to  have personal interaction, or watch personal interaction between the  candidates and members of the community, why go? Just read the  responses off the minutes, or watch it on TV, it will be the same  thing.

 I think a huge human element is lost when a woman of  three children cannot approach the microphone and ask about education  with passion in her voice versus and has to accept someone in a  monotone voice reading it off an index card, not the same thing. Huge  difference.

 I go to debates to watch how the candidates  make judgments, interact with people, and think. That is what is  important to me. I usually already know their position on a proposition  or education before I go, it is the human communication I want to know,  what they are like as people and how they respond to a particular  person with a particular concern because I want to know how they are  going to respond to me when I contact two years later when I need their  help.

 Nonverbal communication is 90% of communication.  Having 90% of communication cut off does not enhance communication with  voters and candidates it hinders and confuses it.

 I will  not attend a censored debate. Waste of time, I will be telling other  students the same and to just email the candidates with their  questions.

  Best,

  _DJA

Bill Moore <bmoore at fsr.com> wrote:              [I was asked by the   League of Women Voter's to post the following announcement to the   list.]

  The League of Women   Voters of Moscow is co-sponsoring, with the Daily News, a candidates'   forum. Here are the particulars:

All-Candidates' Forum
Tuesday,   October 17
7PM-9PM
Moscow High School auditorium, 401 East 3rd   St.

We  have representatives from all the US Congress, State of Idaho, Idaho  legislative and Latah County offices, so far 21 candidates. We are  soliciting questions from the community and will meet with the Daily News  to sort them before the forum (no questions will be taken from the  audience). Candidates will have time to meet with, and answer questions  from, the audience members after the forum. Handicapped access can be  arranged by calling Joan Klingler at 882-8853.

Questions to candidates can be sent   to:
fallforum at adelphia.net

    --

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com